BIRTHDAY

"Mrs Armstrong, a pleasure to see you here. Your daughter just came by."

Becky's mom bowed to Commander Mint and Freen. "I was in the room in the other wing, with her husband. I came here when I heard the news."

"Did Becky tell you about it?" asked Commander Mint.

"No. The assigned nurse in Mew's room told us."

"I see." Commander Mint looked at Freen and went back to Becky's mom. "I suppose I'll leave you guys to talk for a bit."

Freen wanted Commander Mint to stay. But the older lady bowed her head. "Thank you, Commander."

When Commander Mint left the room, Freen's head is full of questions about Becky's mom's motive. As far as she can remember, this woman never liked her.

"How are you feeling?" asked the older lady, her voice with a hint of concern.

"F-fine. Thanks for asking. How's he?"

"He's recovering. It may take him a bit of time because he's got several fractured ribs. But yes, he's doing fine."

"That's nice to know. And, uh, Emily?"

"She's in our house with her nanny. Becky will pick her up later after her shift to visit Mew."

Freen pressed her lips together, nodding slowly.

"I haven't thanked you yet for what you did," said Becky's mom.

Freen looked at the woman in the eyes and saw sincerity. "There's no need to thank me. It is my duty, Ma'am."

"I know. But still, thanks for not giving up on Emily and Mew. I am forever grateful for that." The woman touched Freen's arm.

Freen felt something different with that touch. She couldn't speak.

"And I'm sorry..." said the woman, on the verge of crying this time. "I'm so sorry about everything..."

"M-ma'am... please... don't cry..." Seeing Becky's mom cry like that melted all the hard feelings Freen harboured towards the older lady before.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry for hurting you. Becky never cheated on you. It was me who asked Mew to keep calling her that night. I did that because I couldn't bear seeing her sad and missing you all the time. I'm sorry if I hurt you..."

Freen bit her lower lip, trying to compose herself. It doesn't matter if Becky's mom had something to do with what happened. What broke her heart that night is when Becky admitted that she likes the doctor.

"Ma'am, it's all in the past now. You don't need to worry about it anymore."