【 2 】

ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴜᴩᴏɴ ᴀ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ | єναηﻭєℓιηє

                    【CHAPTER TWO】

The Prince of Hearts took a final bite of his apple before it dropped to the floor and spattered everything with red

"People who don't like me call me Jacks." Evangeline wanted to say that she didn't dislike him, that he'd always been her favorite Fate.

But this was not the lovesick --Prince of Hearts she'd imagined.

    Jacks didn't look like heartbreak come to life.

Was this all a nasty joke? The Fates had supposedly disappeared from the world centuries ago.

    Yet everything Jacks wore- from his untied cravat to his tall leather boots-were of the latest fashion.

Her eyes darted around the white church as if Luc's friends might jump out at any moment to have a laugh.

Luc was the only son of a gentleman, and though he never acted as if that mattered with Evangeline, the young men he kept company with considered her beneath them.

    Evangeline's father had owned several shops across Valenda, so she'd never been poor.

But she wasn't from the upper tier of society like Luc.
"If you're searching for the way out because you've come to your senses, I won't stop you." Jacks folded his hands behind his golden head, leaned back against the statue of himself, and grinned.

    Her stomach dipped in warning, telling her not to be deceived by his dimpled smile or the torn clothes.

     This was the most dangerous being she'd ever met.

Evangeline didn't imagine he would kill her- she would never be foolish enough to let the Prince of Hearts kiss her.

But she knew that if she stayed and made a deal with Jacks, he would forever destroy some other part of her.

And yet, if she left, there would be no saving Luc.

"What will your help cost me?"
"Did I say I would help you?" His eyes went to the cream ribbons trailing up from her shoes to wrap around her ankles until they disappeared under the hem of her eyelet dress.