【 11 】

ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴜᴩᴏɴ ᴀ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ | єναηﻭєℓιηє

                   【CHAPTER TEN】

          Part II - the Magnificent North

...

For fourteen days, there had been only dark waves and gray sea foam and
biting salt spray.
And then, as if it had been plucked from one of her mother’s bedtime tales, Evangeline saw the snow-covered curves of the Great Gateway Arch to the Magnificent North.

Made of granite with marbled blue veins and as tall as a castle’s keep,
the arch’s weathered columns were carved to look like mermaids holding
tridents that pierced through carvings of men, the way a sailor might spear a fish.

The men’s backs were bowed, and their hands stretched to hold out the sign forming the top of the enormous arch.

WELCOME TO THE MAGNIFICENT NORTH STORIES BE HERE

“It’s even larger than I imagined,” said Marisol.

Her light brown hair was shining, and her delicate face was full of healthy color.

The weeks at sea had done her good.

The first couple of days aboard the ship, she’d been too nervous to leave her cabin.

But each day, she’d ventured out a little
more, and today, she huddled beside Evangeline at the railing.
“Is this where we need to be quiet?” she whispered.

Evangeline nodded with a smile, glad her stepsister was starting to believe in her Northern stories the same way Evangeline did.

During their journey, Evangeline had not been surprised to learn that Agnes never told
Marisol any stories growing up.

So Evangeline had shared some of her mother’s tales, including her warnings about entering the North: Never speak a word as you go through the Gateway Arch.

The ancient magic of the North cannot pass the borders, but it always tries.

It collects around the Gateway Arch, and if you speak as you travel through, the magic will steal your voice and use your words to lure unsuspecting travelers into helping it escape to other parts of the world.