Chapter 14

"I'm so sorry Bex bothered you so much." Dex said as he shut the door behind him as he entered his bedroom, following behind Sophie.
"Haha, it's okay!" Sophie smiled at Dex.
"I like Bex's company, plus she made me feel less nervous, to tell you something."

Sophie went over and she sat down on the edge of Dex's bed. Dex went over and sat down next to her.
"Well, what's up?" Dex asked, looking at Sophie.
Sophie tucked her hair behind her ear and began to fiddle with her fingers.

"Uhm... I haven't told a lot of people, just people I really trust, but there's a spy in the Black Swan." Sophie said, looking at Dex.
"And... I know you've been getting close with Fitz recently and so... I just... I just want to make sure you're careful because-"
Dex scoffed, smiling at Sophie.
"You don't... honestly think Fitz is the spy, do you?" Dex tilted his head at Sophie.

Sophie took a deep breath.
"Dex, it's just... Alvar was a member of the Neverseen, is it hard to believe Fitz may follow in his brother's footsteps?" Sophie questioned.
"Yes?!" Dex snapped.
"Sophie, Fitz literally hates his brother for what he did! Why would he follow his brother's footsteps?!"

"Dex, Fitz has some issues anyways-!" Sophie began.
"Because he has also went through a lot?!" Dex cut Sophie off, getting up from his bed.
"I-I mean... He is... He's doing the best he can to be a better person too! I've seen it! I've helped him through some stuff too!"

Dex faced Sophie and they both stared at each other.
"He... He's not the spy." Dex said.
"How do you know-?!" Sophie began.
"Because I know! You're just being a petty ex-girlfriend and you need to get over Fitz and for how things ended between you two! He's changed and it's just not possible for him to be 'evil'!" Dex exclaimed.

Sophie scoffed and she got up.
"Dex... I know it can be hard to believe but just be careful around Fitz." Sophie said, looking at Dex and holding eye contact with him.
Dex stared at Sophie.
"You be careful with who you accuse and who you tell these things to. Maybe the spy wants this to happen." Dex stated.
Sophie rolled her eyes and she walked off.

Dex didn't watch Sophie as she left and once she slammed the door shut, Dex grabbed his imparter from his pocket.
"Show me Fitz Vacker."
A couple of seconds passed before Fitz connected and Dex could see the image of Fitz appear.
"What's up?" Fitz asked, looking as though he was ready to go out somewhere.

"Uhm... when are you available to talk? In private?" Dex asked.
Fitz blinked at Dex.
"Oh... well, right now my mom wants to take Biana and I out, but maybe later on I can swing by if it's that important?" Fitz smiled at Dex.
Dex smiled back.
"Yeah, okay. Just let me know when you'll get over here." Dex said, nodding.
"Have fun, with your mom and Biana."

"Fitz! Stop flirting and let's get going!!" Dex could hear Biana shout.
Dex couldn't help but giggle and Fitz's cheeks turned red.
"... Excuse me, I have to go murder my sister." Fitz said, looking at Dex.
"I'll see you later."

Like that, Fitz disconnected and Dex set his imparter aside. Dex went back and sat down on the edge of his bed, frowning to himself.

Why would Sophie think Fitz was the spy?

And who actually was this spy?

Dex's brain tried to think of anyone who may have been acting suspicious recently but no name came to mind. All of their friends don't seem like they'd be the spy, so... How could there be one?

---------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 634

A/N: a chapter where Keefe and Tam aren't in it and are still in denial of their feelings?? Wowie, what a shocker! 😦