Chapter 3

Lacy:

---

All the seniors had every class together, except I was put in honors English because of my record at my old school.

I had always picked reading up quickly. When I was thirteen and we read To Kill A Mockingbird in ELA, I finished the whole book when everyone else was in chapter nine, they didn't finish the book until February when we started in September.

Over the past couple of hours, me and Elliot have become instant friends. He filled me in on all the gossip at Belle Danse, he even told me a little bit about Riley.

"So she had this thing with Val last year," Elliot told me as he swallowed his water.

I nodded with wide eyes.

"They denied it for a couple of months but one time I walked into Val and Riley's room, 'cause they shared one last year," he informed me, "And they were going at it," he laughed, mouth wide open.

"No way!" I laughed as we stood in the hallway, moving to make room for people, "How bad was it?" I asked, whispering to him.

"You would've thought they were being separated forever the next day, they were starved," he laughed loudly.

"If that happened to me I'd be so embarrassed," I grinned.

"But anyway, then they were all lovey-dovey and stuff but then at the end of the year, they broke things off because Val wouldn't go to Isle Of Palms with Riley for the summer because Val's parents wanted her home for the summer," Elliot told me.

"Ohh," I nodded.

"They got in this huge fight and it was so stupid, but now Riley's heartbroken, and Val's clearly moved on," Elliot chuckled.

"What do you mean moved on?" I asked.

"Well," Elliot told me, "Our whole group comes a week before the normal people, for a training camp, and I saw Val making out with this guy who does hip-hop in her room, I think his name's Liam or something," he spoke clearly to me.

"This is so much information," I chuckled.

"I'm here when you wanna know anything," he smirked.

The bell rang loudly, pitching my ears as it echoed.

"Are you sure you're going to be ok by yourself in that class?" he asked.

"I'm sure," I smiled.

"Okay I'll see you later, mon amour," he smiled, waving to me as he walked away.

I eventually found my way to class, walking in and scanning for a place to sit, the only two being the second to last row on the very left.

"Alright guys," the teacher sighed, standing at the front of the class. He had round glasses and messy brown hair that fell on his face. He was wearing a three-piece suit and he was tall and skinny.

"I'm your honors English teacher for the year. I see some new faces and some familiar faces so I thought we'd do an icebreaker game to get to know everyone," he smiled.

"Of course, I'll be talking about what we're covering this year and expectations," he smiled, "So let's start with-" he was interrupted but Riley abruptly coming into the room.

"Sorry," she mumbled.

"Miss Parker, are we already starting the school year with a write-up?" he asked, staring at her as she reluctantly made her way to the seat next to mine.

"No, Mr. Blaire," she said with an attitude in her voice.

"Do not let it happen again," he said frustrated.

"Yes sir," she nodded.

"And why were you late, may I ask?" he raised an eyebrow.

"I...was using the bathroom," she said, extending the 'I'.

"Uhuh, alright," he sighed shaking his head.

"We'll be covering a few books this year, the basics. In our Holocaust unit, we'll read Night by Elie Wiesel, and The Diary Of A Young Girl by Anne Frank. Other books will be Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, Romeo And Juliet, obviously by William Shakespeare, and 1984 by George Orwell," he spoke to us.

"Now since it is honors English we'll be reading these books faster than regular English, also covering more books than them as well," he explained.

"Not enough books," Riley scoffed quietly.

"Regular English is covering three books, we're covering six," I whispered, leaning over the slightest.

"Six books in one year is not a lot," she whispered.

"Then read more on your own time," I rolled my eyes.

"Why do you have such an attitude all the time?" she asked, scrunching her face at me.

"I don't have an attitude," I gritted, trying not to let my anger win over.

"Yeah, you do," she smirked.

"I don't have an attitude your just a bitch," I said, losing control over myself.

"Huh," she smirked, chuckling to herself.

"What?" I asked, frustrated.

"Didn't think rich girls swore," she smirked.

"Don't pull that on me, everyone has to be rich to go here, even on scholarship," I whispered.

"How do you know?" she asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Because I'm on scholarship, 30,000," I said.

"That's a pretty number, Clarke," she smirked, "Daddy make a call for that scholarship?" she said with a stupid smirk on her face.

With those words I lost it, all control I had over my body was gone. My mind took control over my hand and it all happened too quickly.

My hand whipped across her cheek, the slapping noise on her cheek echoing throughout the room as she held her cheek.

What the hell did I just do?