Chapter 09 - The thief and a clown

"I'm hungry!" Luffy whined as she hungover the railing of the boat. She and Zoro had been at sea for a few days andwere low on supplies. "How long do we have to brew until we reach land?" askedZoro. "Who knows, it all depends on the wind and the sea. Maybe we'll never getthere. Well, I'm sure we will...eventually." "Wait a minute! Isn't ita little strange to plan to become Pirate King but have no idea how tonavigate?" Zoro replied. She couldn't be that stupid, could she? "Isnot it. I just let myself be carried by the waves." Apparently so. "Whatabout you? As a great bounty hunter, aren't you capable of doing thatyourself?" the black-haired woman asked, looking over her shoulder."I never claimed to be a bounty hunter." Zoro leaned back and lookedat the sky. "I went to sea because I was looking for a certain man and could nolonger find the way to my village. I had no choice but to live off the bountiesof wanted pirates." "Ah, so you're just lost then." She lookedinto the water again. "Don't say something like that!" Zoro snapped at her,stamping his foot. This caused the boat to rock and Luffy's straw hat flew offher head. Eyes wide, she jerked her head in the direction the hat flew. Zoro didso too. It flew along the sail when Luffy said: "My hat, I got it fromShanks!" Slowly the hat flew higher and higher. She could hear Shankstelling her shortly after arriving in Foosha Village while he threw up his hat:"This is my beloved straw hat, whichhas accompanied me in many battles in my life. I'm really sorry, Luffy, but Idon't think I can even give it to you." The Straw Hat flew over themast and slowly began to descend. Zoro and Luffy ran after it to the bow, nevertaking they eyes off it. Zoro stretched out his arm and was just able to catchit before it landed in the water. He handed it to his captain, who immediatelyaccepted it and seemed to be looking for something in the hatband. He noticed ahint of worry and...fear? There was in her eyes.     

She breathed a sigh of relief as she pulled outa small piece of paper. "I thought I had lost it," she said before sittingcross-legged. The green-haired man sat down opposite her and looked confused atthe folded paper before asking: "What is that?" She looked up from itin surprise before looking back again. She carefully unfolded it and turned itso Zoro could see it. It was a picture of a woman. The edges of the photo werealready yellowed, but otherwise it still looked undamaged. In the photo hecould see a woman with long, curly, blonde hair with some kind of red flowerstuck in it. She had brown eyes, similar to Luffy's only lighter, freckles andwas wearing a white dress.

 She had brown eyes, similar to Luffy's only lighter, freckles andwas wearing a white dress

He looked at Luffy questioningly. "The woman in the picture is my mother." A sad smile crept onto her lips. "It's the only thing I have of her." He didn't quite understand why this made her sad, but he didn't ask any further questions. He recognized when people didn't want to talk about a topic that was bothering them. Therefore he remained silent. Luffy folded it back up and put it back in the hatband before looking at it for a while. Silence fell over the boat. He remembered what she had said about the hat a few days ago: "I swore to someone. A good friend or rather someone who is like a father to me. I promised him that I would put together an unbeatable crew to find the greatest treasure in the world and one day become Pirate King! He gave me this straw hat as a farewell gift; it once belonged to my father." "You have to take good care of it, otherwise you'll lose it again. It's very important to you, right?" "Yes." She put the straw hat back on her head and pulled the brim a little lower so that her eyes couldn't be seen. She let go of the brim and looked him straight in the eyes as she said, " Thank you, Zoro."