23. our blue souls (connect us to the next era)

From one half to the next, Raimon picks up their pieces and keep it together, despite the odds

From one half to the next, Raimon picks up their pieces and keep it together, despite the odds. With their key players back by their sides, the counterattack begins.

They've made miracles happen before, and they'll do it again.

-

-

Kirino has no idea when he lost consciousness, but he finds himself rousing, laid across the side of the field near the benches, his head in Aoi's lap.

"Ah– Kirino-senpai!" she exclaims, when she realizes, "Akane-senpai, Coach!"

Disoriented, the world doesn't seem real for a moment.

For a moment he wished everything up until now were a bad dream. That he'd sit up, and the faces of his Raimon would look back at him, run to him, and tell him everything would be alright.

But it wasn't, and when he looked over, it's all wrong.

"Kirino!" Sangoku spins around from his spot in the circle of strategy meeting.

It must be half time, then.

More voices call out in alarm and approach— and Kirino pushes himself up with a groan, coming to face Coach Endou. Akane hands him a water, and he sips it carefully.

No point asking the obvious 'what happened' question. He remembers the ache of that ball that knocked him out very vividly. It's still thrumming in his head, actually.

"Don't need to get up, you've got a concussion."

Kirino pauses at that.

"Why am I not in an infirmary or something then?" because even when god Eden is hell, they kind of have them. They can't just not bring the injured to places, it affects productivity.

"Oh I don't trust them with you," Coach Endou says. "We're actually in Ijigen the Hand right now."

Kirino hums, like that makes sense.

Then he realizes, that really doesn't, and he frantically looks around— oh, that orange glow surrounding them was neither a hallucination, sunlight, nor weird spotlight work. That's a gleaming rising shield of pure aura, stretching out far overhead and encasing them in essentially a gigantic dome of protection.

"It kinda looks like Miyabino's Power Shield," Sangoku observes.

"It's inspired by it, I guess you could say?" Coach Endou says. "But Power Shield protects from the front, while this one slides everything upward. Try hitting the ground sometimes, things might come out."