Chapter 5: Shattered Oath

25th day in the month of Solaris, year 291 of the 30th calendar (25th of Solaris, 291/30)

Lily woke up late in the morning, the warm sunlight streaming through her bedroom window. As she slowly opened her eyes, a surge of excitement washed over her. Today was Emily's birthday, and Lily couldn't wait to see her sister's reaction to the surprises they had prepared. She quickly sat up in bed, her short brown hair tousled from sleep. With a determined expression, she tied her hair into two cute pigtails, a signature style she loved.

In a hurry, Lily jumped out of bed and rushed to the bathroom to freshen up. She brushed her teeth, splashed water on her face, and then hurriedly got dressed. The anticipation was bubbling inside her, making her heart race with each passing second. She couldn't wait to see Emily's smiling face on the video call.

Bounding down the stairs, Lily couldn't contain her excitement. She sang a cheerful tune, her voice filling the air, and she even skipped a few steps along the way. But as she entered the living room, her joy came to a screeching halt. Her eyes widened in shock as she took in the scene before her.

The living room was filled with a group of somber-looking medical personnel and police officers. Her mother, Mercy, was sitting on the couch, her tear-streaked face buried in her hands. Lily's heart sank, and a knot formed in her stomach. Something was terribly wrong.

Without hesitation, Lily rushed to her mother's side, her voice trembling with worry. "Mom, what's happening? Why are all these people here?" she asked, her eyes darting between her mother and the unfamiliar faces in the room.

A police officer began to speak, but a medical person gently interrupted, recognizing the need for Mercy to share the news herself. With a trembling voice and tear-filled eyes, Mercy looked up at Lily, her words choked with emotion. "Lily... something terrible has happened," she managed to say between sobs.

Lily's heart pounded in her chest, fear gripping her tightly. She watched her mother's tears flow, her own eyes welling up with unshed tears. "What is happening?" Lily asked, her voice barely a whisper, filled with a mix of confusion and dread.

As the room remained shrouded in heavy silence, Lily's heart pounded louder with each passing second. Her mind racing, trying to make sense of the scene before her. She looked into her mother's tear-filled eyes, searching for answers, but the words remained unspoken. The weight of the unknown hung in the air, suffocating her.

And then, with a trembling voice, Mercy finally spoke. "Lily... Emily... she's... she's gone," she choked out between sobs.

Lily's world shattered in that moment. The words reverberated through her being, piercing her heart like a thousand shards of glass. The reality of Emily's passing crashed upon her like a relentless wave, threatening to drown her in a sea of grief.

"No!" Lily shouted, her voice filled with disbelief and anger. "You're lying, Mom! This can't be true!"

A police officer stepped forward, attempting to intervene. "I'm sorry, but it's true," he said softly, his voice laced with sympathy.

Lily's rage erupted like a volcanic eruption. She pushed the police officer away, her voice strained with fury. "You're a liar! You're all liars!" she shouted, her words echoing through the room.

Tears streamed down Lily's face as she turned and ran, her heartache fueling her every step. She burst out of the front door, the world outside blurring through her tears. The weight of the unbearable truth crashed upon her, threatening to crush her spirit.

Crying uncontrollably, Lily stumbled through the streets, her sobs echoing through the empty roads. The pain in her chest felt unbearable, as if her heart had been ripped apart. She couldn't comprehend a world without Emily, her beloved sister.