Page 6

Once we all finish talking to Deanna, Aaron comes back inside to join us. 

"All right," he states,"I'll meet you guys outside I just need to talk to Deanna." 

We all nod too exhausted to give an actual answer. We weren't in there for too long but talking to people wasn't something we've done in a while. We walk out side and take a seat on the steps of the porch. 

Aaron and Deanna

"Aaron this is bullshit!" Deanna said raising her voice.

"I know I was supposed to tell you before, but they're just kids." Aaron defends them.

"They are but not quiet, they're turning 18 this year. They could either strengthen this community or completely turn it around."

"I know, but Daryl and I have seen how they can live, they don't seem like bad kids. They're just really smart and I think we need that."

Deanna nods. 

Aaron starts to walk away but then turns back to Deanna. 

"Do I get to-"

"Yes." She shook her head with a smile. "Have a good night Aaron."

~

"Holy shit that was boring." Karmen says lazily. 

I laugh, " Yeah, this place seems cool though." 

Everyone goes silent. 

"I can't believe we went with them so easily." Says Beth. 

"We all remember what happened to the first camp." 

Everyone was silent, again.

"Yeah well I didn't choose that camp. I'm not blaming them but I can tell bad people from good people and they seem okay. Plus this isn't a camp, it's an actual community." 

Their eyes were on me, and they had a feeling I was right. I wouldn't make a decision I couldn't control.

Aaron walks back outside with a huge grin on his face.

"So guys, as you know we've never accepted a small group of young people before."

For fuck sake, why is he so happy.

"So because you three aren't old enough you won't be getting your own houses."

"We could've gotten our own houses?" Beth spat.

"Yes, but that's not the point-"

"Then what's the fucking point?!" I raise my voice. 

He takes a deep breath and slowly says," Elle, Beth, and Karmen you three our living with me!"

"Out of all the fucking people in this neighborhood.." Mutters Karmen.

An immediate fake smile is plastered onto my face. "Cool." I say slowly.

"I know this is going to be hard to get use to but I think we can make it work." 

"Come on!" He gestures with his hand. "Let's go met Eric." 

We all groan following behind. 

I mean he didn't have to tell us we could've had our own fucking house,ughh.

//

We wake up the next day in a beautiful house. We met Eric, who happened to be Aaron's boyfriend and I had to admit, they were really cute. Aaron offered to give us our own rooms but we just didn't feel comfortable to that yet so we denied and asked if we could sleep in the same room. Apparently, Aaron and Eric had been planning for something like this and so upstairs there was a room with two sets of bunk beds. It was filled with toys and games, they were obviously expecting younger kids. They've always wanted kids so they asked Deanna in the beginning of all this if they could take any orphans. Obviously he didn't use the word 'orphan' but that's basically what we are. 

I took the bottom because Beth and Karmen took the top bunks. 

I rub my eyes and catch a whiff of something good. 

"Breakfast." I said out loud. 

"Beth!" I called.

"Karmen!" I wined. 

I could hear groans and the rustling of sheets.

"Do you guys smell that shit?"

"Oh my god." Karmen awakened.

"I'll race you!" Karmen begged.

"Beth!" I yelled.

"I'll meet you guys down there." She flips to the other side, trying to fall back to sleep.

I look back at Karmen.

"You're on." 

Karmen skips the ladder and jumps right down. I wait for her and trip her getting a head start. 

"Hey!" She laughs form behind me. 

"What?" I say pretending not to hear her. I was already down the stairs so I turn around and stick my tongue out at Karmen. 

"You girls hungry?" Asks Eric.

"Yes Sir." I replied. 

Beth eventually comes down and we all have a big breakfast together. 

"Could I take another shower?" Asks Beth. 

"Of course you can!" Replies Aaron.

"All three of you can do whatever you want from now on. You three are older women but would you like to meet the other kids? I'm sure they'd love to meet you." 

"Yes of course!" I answer with a big smile. 

"Hey Karmen, could you grab my bag for me?" 

She looks at me confused. "Sure?"