Chapter 49

_ . _

Chapter 49

In the realm of the vast and untamed ocean, Triton's arrival was heralded as a divine blessing—a symbol of hope and promise. From the moment he drew breath, he was regarded as the Crown Prince of the Ocean, destined to wield authority over the tumultuous seas. Amphitrite, his mother, cherished him with an intensity that knew no bounds, placing his well-being above all else, as any devoted parent would. Yet, beneath the surface of their seemingly unbreakable bond, lurked shadows of doubt, casting doubt on the authenticity of their connection.

Amphitrite, born of the noble lineage of Nereus and Doris, embodied the spirit of the Nereids—the ethereal nymphs who danced upon the waves. She once held sway as a revered figure, akin to the goddess Athena, proud and steadfast in her convictions. It was this formidable presence that captivated Poseidon, sparking his desire to make her his bride.

However, Amphitrite's dreams of a life dedicated to the protection of the ocean were shattered when fate intervened, binding her to Poseidon through the sacred bonds of matrimony. Despite her initial despair, she resigned herself to her fate, honoring the wishes of her parents and her duty as a daughter of the sea.

To Amphitrite, Poseidon was a god among men, yet his godly stature could not shield her from the suffocating expectations thrust upon her by her mother. As Doris instilled in her daughter the virtues of wifely duty, Amphitrite found herself struggling to reconcile her own aspirations with the demands of her newfound role.

"You must serve your husband, and he will reward your devotion." Her mother's words echoed in Amphitrite's mind, a constant reminder of the sacrifices expected of her. And so she embraced her responsibilities as a mother, a wife, and ultimately, as the Queen of the Seas.

Yet, despite her unwavering dedication, Amphitrite found herself trapped in a cycle of obedience and submission, a far cry from the proud and independent woman she once was. Poseidon, weary of her predictable demeanor, sought solace elsewhere, leaving Amphitrite to tend to a brood of nymphs whose origins remained shrouded in mystery.

As Amphitrite navigated the complexities of her marriage, she found solace in her son, Triton, whom she raised with a belief in his divine right to rule. A king can do whatever he wants. He has the power to covet everything with a wave of his hand. He should be proud and dignified at all times. Instilling within him the values of pride and dignity, she unwittingly perpetuated the same patterns of behavior she had observed in Poseidon.

In the days of yore, Amphitrite possessed a tranquil demeanor, her confidence unwavering in the face of adversity. She held steadfast to the belief that the curse Athena cast upon Medusa would render her unable to bear Poseidon's child—a notion that brought solace to her troubled mind.

Yet, decades later, her world was shattered by Poseidon's return, accompanied by a child of Gordon lineage. Amphitrite's heart sank as she realized the child's lineage could pose a threat to her beloved Triton's rightful succession. She uncovered Poseidon's clandestine visits to the temple of Sarpedon, where he collected Medusa's remains after her demise at the hands of Perseus. His visit brought back the potential heir, casting a shadow of uncertainty over Triton's future.

Despite Samael's surrender of his claim to the throne, Amphitrite's concerns lingered as he roamed the depths of the ocean, vanquishing monsters. Seeking solace, she confided in her son; their conversation was tinged with the weight of impending turmoil.

"Son," Amphitrite began, her voice laced with concern, "it would be prudent to banish Samael from the ocean. His presence poses a threat to your reign. I fear he may betray you when least expected."