friendsgiving

The next month goes by normally. It starts to feel normal. It's starting to get around the time for Thanksgiving. That's always the time that all hell breaks loose for our family. With Mom gone, it's only really the three us us now. Since we move so much there is no chance to see the rest of our family. Thanksgiving is when all of Mom's side tries and reach out to me and Ruby. I know they are trying to be nice, but they don't realize that it just reminds us of her, and her leaving.

Despite the sadness, there's also a kind of peace during this time. We three have formed our own little unit, and even though it's not the big, bustling family that some people have, it's enough for us.

A few days before break Ellie, Alice, and I decide we want to try and do a Friendsgiving. We decide to have it at Alice's place.

"Can me and my friends do a like, Friendsgiving thing at Alice's place?" I ask my dad

"Are her parents going to be home?" He asks

"Yeah, they will be," I assure him. "They're okay with it as long as we clean up after ourselves." He nods, seeming satisfied with my answer. I feel bad lying to him about that, but it's a white lie.

I decide to bring the mac and cheese. it's not that hard. I make it and get to her place. I go to the lobby and buzz in. She unlocks the door and I go up the elevator.

I knock on Alice's door, and she opens it with a wide smile. "Hey, Y/N! You made it!" she exclaims, pulling me into a hug. "Come in, we're about to start setting up." I follow her inside.

This is the first time I've ever been to her apartment. I feel bad to say that it looks not great.

"So why aren't your parents home?" I ask

"I don't know, they said they'd be home for Thanksgiving but I never know," she says

"Oh," I say. "So do y'all have any vodka or anything?"

"Yeah," she says, walking over to a cabinet. She opens it and it is filled to the brim with all kinds of alcohol. There's vodka, tequila, whiskey, and more. "My parents don't really keep track of it," she explains with a shrug, grabbing a bottle of vodka. "They won't notice if we take some."

BUZZ

Alices goes over and buzzes Ellie in.

Ellie walks in, carrying a large tray of homemade cookies. "Hey guys, sorry I'm late. The cookies took longer to bake than I expected," she apologizes, setting the tray down on the counter. We all laugh and start setting up for our Friendsgiving.

We sit and talk for a while. We eat the food and drink as much vodka as we wanted to. I put my phone on Do Not Disturb so I wouldn't have to see any texts from my family.

"So, what's going on with you and your old friends?" asks Alice

"Not a lot I guess, I just hate being around Finn every day. Why can't we just move seats or something?" I say

"Hopefully he moves your seat before that project," She says

"What project?" I ask

"Oh, didn't you hear?" Ellie interjects. "There's a rumor going around that we're going to have a big group project in chemistry soon. You might want to ask your teacher about changing seats before then."

"I guess I'll have to do that," I say, already dreading the idea of a group project. "I just hope I don't end up in a group with him." We all laugh, but there's a hint of worry in my voice.

We sit and chat for a while, talking more about school and other things. Were already hitfaced by the time I decide to check my phone.

I look at my phone and see a bunch of missed notifications. I have a ton of texts from my dad asking how it's going and now I'm doing. I decide to call him. I put on my best sober voice and start ringing him.