Chapter 4

"I need a job. I feel bad about living there for free and not even pitching in. Every time I even try to get a job though, Angel always says that I don't need to because he's got it all covered," I spoke to myself.

I was sitting on my couch twiddling my thumbs and pondering on what I should do. I really should get a job though. And it doesn't even have to be full time either. Just enough to pay for my own food. I mean, Angel sends me money every month for my own amusement. I also get food every month by a delivery man, who is I have to say isn't that bad looking, I blush a little at the thought of his gorgeous face. I shake my head to erase the images from my mind.

"I need to focus. Okay, so here's the plan," I map out in my head. "I'll aimlessly walk around down town snooping around if somebody wants to hire," I sigh. "That's a terrible plan. Aw man. What should I do? Maybe I could call Penny and ask her," I finally decided upon.

Since I had nothing better to do today and I was totally bored I decided that maybe I should look around down town. Yah know. Some great openings could present itself to me because I have a feeling luck is on my side today.

I stood up from the couch and walked over to my little box. I grabbed my phone out and dialed her number which I had gotten a few days ago at her parents ice cream shop. Their ice cream is amazing! Back to the point. I held the device up to my ear and waited patiently for the ringing to stop and someone appear on the other line.

"Hello?" Someone responded. Everyone for some reason sounds different when they speak on the phone so I couldn't tell if it was Penny or one of her family members.

"U-um," I stuttered a bit. "I was wondering if I could speak with Penny please?"

"And who might this be?" The lady asked.

"Becca," I nervously replied.

I don't know why I was so nervous. Well, maybe it's because this person wasn't Penny, which I had hoped it was, and I don't know how to talk to people. I mentally face-palmed myself. Just chill, Becca.

"Oh! My goodness, Becca! It's so nice to hear from you. I thought you were never gonna call," the lady screeched. I then realized that I was speaking to Penny's mother. I loved her mother. She was so cool and fun. Very hyper and uppity which is the total opposite of Penny. She probably gets her shyness from her father who is always kind of quiet and on the side reading something, whether it be a newspaper or a book.

"Haha. Nice to hear from you too, Mrs. Matthews," I replied politely.

"Ah there's no need to be so formal, sweetie. Just call me Megan," I could just hear her lovely smile through the telephone. "Oh! I totally forgot. I'm sorry. I'll connect you to Penny's room right away."

Then there was a faint beep and then there was another voice. This time it was small and even more child like then it was in person. I almost thought I was talking to her younger sister, which she doesn't have, and I almost hung up in surprise.

"Hello?" It replied through the silence.

"Hey Penny. It's me, Becca," I smiled a little. But it was kind of rushed because I was bored and I really needed a job.

"Oh, hey. What's up?"

"Um, I was wondering if you knew any part-time available jobs I could take," I asked anxiously.

There was silence then a little hum. She even sounded cute thinking. I waited patiently for her to answer my urgent question.

"Well, there's a new café a few blocks from here. I think they still might be hiring," she thought aloud.