09

Beep.

Jisoo sat motionless, staring at the TV screen as it went black. The cacophony of headlines had been haunting her all day, and now it was becoming unbearable. She sighed, tossing the remote aside as she leaned back in her chair. The slap had become a wildfire, spreading through every corner of the entertainment industry, and the media was all too eager to fan the flames.

"Kim Jisoo, the current reigning star of the entertainment industry, has allegedly slapped actress Jang Won Young, the ex-fiancée of actor and singer Kim Taehyung and heiress of SK PVT LTD. Netizens demand an apology and—"

The story was too perfect for the public to resist. Scandal involving a superstar, her ex, and a rival heiress—it was the kind of drama people lived for. But Jisoo knew better. This wasn’t Wonyoung’s style. Wonyoung liked to play mind games, sure, but she wasn’t this careless. This was someone else. Someone who had it out for her.

She took a deep breath, trying to calm her thoughts. Someone on the inside had set her up. The only question was, who? There were too many people on set that day—crew members, directors, assistants, extras. But whoever it was had access to the right people. They’d spun the story perfectly.

Ding!

Jisoo glanced at her phone. It was J-Hope.

J-Hope: What are you going to do about the situation?

She stared at the screen, her fingers hovering over the keyboard. What could she do? The public had already made up their minds. No matter what she said, people would believe what they wanted. She’d learned that the hard way over the years.

Jisoo: I’ll take care of it.

She had to think fast. Damage control wasn’t her strong suit, but she knew someone who could help. Someone powerful. Someone outside of her immediate circle. And someone who owed her.

Jisoo: I'll give you a chance to clear that debt you owe me. Take care of the headlines.

She sent the message, her mind racing as she considered her next steps. Cha Eun Woo. A brilliant lawyer with connections everywhere and the skills to twist any narrative in her favor. And he owed her—a favor he’d never forgotten. Though she never understood why he was always so eager to help her, she figured it was just part of their history.

The next morning, Jisoo woke to a flood of messages. Celebrities were defending her on all platforms. Park Hyung Sik, Director Suga, Kim Taehyung—and even Jang Wonyoung herself—came to her defense, insisting the slap was part of the scene and that Jisoo had been nothing but professional. More and more industry insiders chimed in, shifting the focus from Jisoo’s actions to the unethical behavior of the paparazzi.

And then there was Cha Eun Woo, leading the charge. He issued a statement so sharp, so well-crafted, that it left the media no choice but to back off. He didn’t just protect her; he obliterated the entire narrative, turning what could’ve been the end of her career into a bump in the road. Jisoo had to admire his skill. The man could make anything disappear with a few well-chosen words.

"Good work," she said into the phone, her tone casual, before hanging up. Cha Eun Woo didn’t need effusive praise. His victory was in her acknowledgment. He didn’t know it, but she relied on him far more than she let on. He was her secret weapon.

Just then, her phone buzzed again. It was Lisa.

Lisa: So, he got it all resolved?

Jisoo: Yeah, he got it done. I’ll talk to you later. Jennie’s coming in. I have to pick her up.

Jisoo smirked, slipping her phone into her bag as she made her way to the airport. As usual, the paparazzi were lurking, trying to act like overzealous fans while they snapped pictures and recorded her every move. But after yesterday, she was back in control. She was untouchable again.

At the airport, Jennie arrived looking like she had just walked off a runway. Her blonde, curly hair bounced as she sauntered over to Jisoo, removing her oversized sunglasses with a dramatic flair. She wore baggy jeans, a crop top, and an overcoat draped over her shoulders, exuding casual elegance.

"I land here, and the next moment, I see you blasting the headlines. Seriously, what kind of luck have you got?" Jennie quipped as she approached.

Jisoo raised an eyebrow, eyeing the three enormous suitcases Jennie was wheeling behind her. "Did you bring your entire mansion with you? Who in their right mind needs three suitcases?"

Jennie pouted. "This one’s my makeup bag," she said, pointing to the pink suitcase. "That one’s my dress bag, and—"

Jisoo cut her off with a groan. "Please, Jennie. Don’t tell me you packed all your snacks in there too. I swear, you’re impossible."

"Are you on your time of the month, or did you run into that witch Wonyoung again?" Jennie teased, but Jisoo quickly clamped her hand over Jennie’s mouth, noticing the paparazzi lurking nearby.

They quietly handled the luggage and made their way to Jisoo’s jeep, which had been modified with heavily tinted windows. Jennie slipped inside unnoticed, and Jisoo quickly followed, smirking to herself. The media had no idea who was sitting next to her. Jennie was supposedly still in America with her boyfriend, Jin. The world had no clue what was coming next.

Once they were on the road, Jennie leaned back in her seat, grinning mischievously. "Let’s have some fun today, shall we?" she said, licking her lips playfully.

Jisoo laughed. "Sorry, I’m straight."

Both women erupted into laughter as they sped off, leaving the chaos of the scandal behind. Jisoo knew the storm wasn’t over, but for now, she was back on top—and that’s exactly where she intended to stay.

 Jisoo knew the storm wasn’t over, but for now, she was back on top—and that’s exactly where she intended to stay