01.

𝐉𝐚𝐝𝐞-𝐀𝐧𝐧 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐦𝐬
Age 8

"Leave her alone!" he shouted, his voice laced with agitation, as he charged toward the boys who had been mocking me

"Leave her alone!" he shouted, his voice laced with agitation, as he charged toward the boys who had been mocking me. All three of them huddled together, uncertain of his intentions. They hesitated to retaliate, aware that he wasn't from our grade level and could easily get the support of his older friends if necessary.

"We were just playing!" one of them protested, glancing at me as I wiped away tears.

"She's crying, I don't think she found it amusing lads," he retorted sharply. "Next time any of you dare make fun of her, I'm coming for all of you."

The three boys shook their heads and hurried back to their classrooms. I gathered the leftovers of my lunch bag they threw out and the books they had scattered. Though I could sense the boy who had defended me looking down at me, I avoided meeting his gaze, simply consumed by embarrassment.

"Are you okay?" he asked gently, crouching down to assist me in gathering my belongings.

"Yeah, they do this almost every day, I'm used to it," I sighed, lamenting the challenges of attending a predominantly white primary school.

"Well, not anymore," he declared firmly. I glanced up at him and managed a grateful smile. "I'll make sure of that."

My eyes widened, amazed that in all my years of life, this was the best thing I've ever heard. I was really tired of being bullied. "Thank you," I muttered in disbelief.

"I'm Trent Alexander-Arnold, and you are?" he asked with a friendly smile on his face. I smiled back, recognizing Trent as a year above me whom I often saw around.

"Jade," I said softly. "Jade-Ann Williams."

"I'll race you to the courtyard, bet you can't beat me," he giggled, a playful challenge in his voice.

"Of course I can," I laughed before sprinting off with my things, without saying anything.

"Cheater!" he called after me, trying to catch up.

Age 10

"I'm going to play for Liverpool FC someday, I have to make the first team," he said, kicking the ball in my backyard as I watched him.

"It's my biggest dream. When I get signed, I'll have a lot of money. I'll buy you anything and everything, you name it," he declared before performing a trick with the ball.

He kicked the ball up high and caught it on his chest. Then, he quickly moved the ball between his feet, showing off some cool tricks. Finally, he kicked the ball up again and caught it against his chest. He looked back to see if I saw, which I did so I clapped to cheer him on.