11.

𝐉𝐚𝐝𝐞-𝐀𝐧𝐧 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐦𝐬
I'm selfish?

As we drove towards Saffie's house, I could feel the familiar mix of excitement and nerves bubbling up inside me.

"You look really beautiful tonight," Trent said warmly interrupting my thoughts.

"Thanks," I replied, feeling a blush creep up my cheeks. "You don't look too bad yourself."

He chuckled. "You always know how to boost my ego."

I laughed, rolling my eyes. "Oh, please. You don't need any help in that department."

He grinned, his eyes sparkling. "You're right" which made me roll my eyes.

We drove in comfortable silence for a few moments before he broke it once more. You know, Saffie's 'small gatherings' are never actually small, right?"

I laughed. "I had a feeling it wouldn't be. She's really sweet and friendly, a person like that tends to draw a crowd"

"Yeah, that's Saffie for you," he said, shaking his head. "But it'll be fun. It always is."

I nodded, my mind drifting to the day's earlier events. I decided to bring it up, even if it was a bit abrupt. "So, what do you really think of Jessica?"

He glanced at me, surprised by the question. "Jessica? She looks nice. I mean, I just met her I don't have solid thoughts as yet."

I raised an eyebrow. "Nice? That's it?"

He shrugged, keeping his eyes on the road. "Yeah, nice. I don't really know her well enough to say more."

"Do you see yourself looking for anything serious anytime soon?" I asked, my tone casual but curious.

He looked at me again, clearly caught off guard by the shift in conversation. "Honestly, Jade, like I said I think I'm looking for something familiar, you know? A different kind of connection where there's at least a solid friendship first . I'm not getting any younger, and I'm tired of playing 21 questions every time I meet someone new."

I glanced at him, a teasing smile playing on my lips. "Familiar and a friend? It sounds like you want me," I joked, nudging him with my elbow.

He laughed, shaking his head. "You wish."

I grinned. "Hey, don't knock it. I've been told I'm quite the catch."

He raised an eyebrow, giving me a once-over. "Oh, I know. You're definitely a catch."

"I know, I am her I fear," I said, pretending to fan myself.

"Is that so?" he replied, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

"Absolutely," I said, leaning back in my seat. "But seriously, I get what you mean. It's exhausting trying to build something from scratch with someone each time."

"Exactly," he said, nodding.

I looked at him, my heart swelling with affection. "Well, for what it's worth, I think you'll find what you're looking for. You deserve it."

"Thanks," he said, his voice sincere. "And who knows? Maybe it's closer than I think."

We fell into another comfortable silence as we drove, the lights of the city flashing by outside the car windows. Finally we were here, Trent parked the car and I took a deep breath conditioning my mind for whatever may happen.

We got out of the car and made our way to the front door. The sound of music and laughter spilled out, and I could see the lights twinkling through the windows. He glanced at me, a small smile on his lips.