Chapter 1

Jesse pov

Holland, Malik, Milo, and I were hanging around the neighborhood one night at the beginning of the summer after our sophomore year. A group of four best friends as we've always been since kindergarten. We grew up together in the same neighborhood. Even our parents are familiar with each other.

It was our way to celebrate the beginning of summer vacation. To hang out anywhere as long as we're together. We'd joke around. We'd walk all night or hang out all night at any nearby park. We'd moderately drink beer and smoke secretly somewhere where our parents wouldn't catch us. We were kind of messed up teenagers. But not that missed up. We'd know what's bad and what's worse.

Our neighborhood wasn't less messed up, either. It was a tough neighborhood. Usually for strangers and newcomers only, but we all survived. It wasn't a poor neighborhood or exquisitely rich. It was... somewhere in between.

I lit up a cigarette while I rested on one of the swings at the park where we were hanging near midnight.

"Don't blow your shit my way. My parents are going to smell it on me." Milo whined on the next swing as the wind drove the smoke towards him.

Milo Santana was the first one I made friends with out of the group. We met at kindergarten. He was the chubbiest toddler I've ever seen, and i was the thinnest toddler he've ever seen, so we bonded up just fine. Two days later, Holland Thompson became our fourth. Yes, fourth.

Milo is a one buffy chubb 18 years old, 5'8 (175) kid. He's half Italian, which was reflected on his mid curly dark brown hair, brown eyes, and tanned skin. He's the funniest among us. Him and I share the interest of playing video games. We spent countless nights at each other's houses doing nothing but playing video games, watching anime, and eating like a chihiro parent. He was too fond of anything fried or juicy.

"Fucking man up." I said without parting the cigarette from my lips.

"You dick!" He murmured. I chose to ignore that, as always. That's just Milo's way of saying 'I love you'.

"Are you guys excited for the soccer camp?" I asked Holland and Malik before blowing another one.

Holland Thompson and Malik Treyvon were both playing for our school soccer team, and that what they had in common. They enjoyed practicing together and working out together even though they physically didn't match. Holland is 6'0 (182) tall. Bulky and masculine. He had the body of an athlete. We all envied him for that. He's the most popular kid at school. Girls were throwing themselves at his feet. His ash brown wolf cut of hair and his hazel eyes were screaming handsome. Other things to envy him about. Yet, he was down to earth, befriended with our loser asses.

Meanwhile, Malik was tiny and cute even though he wasn't short. He's 5'10 (177) which was fine for a soccer player, but he wasn't Holland Thompson. Malik joined our group at the beginning of middle school. Holland was the one who introduced him to us after finding him being bullied, so he stood out for him. Back then, we were fascinated by Malik's beauty and cuteness. He has dark skin that balanced perfectly with his light hazel eyes. It's magical under the sunlight. He's the absolute definition of pretty.

Holland shrugged while he was lying down on the grass in front of the swings court, head on Malik's thigh, flipping some rock between his fingers in boredom. "Eh!"

"What's that?" Malik scoffed.

"Nothing. I just don't feel like going. It's a waste of our summer vacation." Holland shut his eyes.

"It's only for a week." Malik chuckled, then continued. "Wait, of course, who need school camps when they're best players at schools league."

"I don't care if I'm the best player. It's summer. No school related tasks are allowed in my schedule." Holland spoited in boredom.