s̶e̶v̶e̶n̶

On the other end of the line, JJ was taken aback by Caroline's sudden announcement. "I'm coming to the Outer Banks tomorrow." His mind raced with a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. He hadn't expected things to escalate so quickly, and he felt a bit of regret that he might not have the chance to reveal his true identity before their meeting.

In a moment of confusion, JJ could only manage a simple "Why?" His voice tinged with a hint of uncertainty.

Caroline's response sent a wave of mixed emotions coursing through him. "I need to find out more about this Rose woman." she explained, her words hanging in the air between them. "And maybe... I wish I could meet you for the first time. But maybe we shouldn't." She answered with a cold voice, but after that sentence she regret saying anything.

"Liney, I really wish it were that easy." JJ only replies.

Caroline was confused. "What's so complicated?" she asked, her tone laced with curiosity. Sensing her confusion, JJ struggled to find the right words. He sat there in silence. "Do you have a girlfriend?" She finally replied.

"God, no." JJ replied quickly, a hint of frustration creeping into his voice. "But since you're coming to the OBX, maybe we should talk in person." he suggested, his words filled with uncertainty.

"John B, you're scaring me." Caroline's voice trembled with uncertainty, her words echoing the unease she felt.

"I know." JJ admitted softly, his own voice heavy with regret. "But trust me, it's better if we talk in person." With a heavy heart, he instructed her, "Text me when you're near Outer Banks. I'll let you know where and when we can meet and talk."

Caroline hesitated for a moment before agreeing. "Okay." she replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

With a sense of finality, they exchanged their goodbyes, and Caroline ended the call, the weight of the conversation hanging heavily in the air. As she set down her phone, a knot of anxiety tightened in her chest, unsure of what the future held for her and her friend on the other line.

As Caroline's alarm pierced through the silence of the room, she stirred from her restless sleep, her eyes heavy with exhaustion. Across the room, Rachel awoke to the sight of her best friend's dark under-eyes, a stark contrast to her usual vibrant manner. Concern etched into her features, Rachel wasted no time in asking Caroline why she hadn't woken her up during the night.

Caroline sighed, her fatigue evident in her voice as she recounted the events of the sleepless night. "I was up all night texting and talking with John B on the phone." she confessed, her words tinged with uncertainty.

Rachel's eyes widened in surprise about this surprising fact. "You talked on the phone?" she exclaimed, her curiosity piqued. "Tell me everything."

Caroline nodded, her thoughts still consumed by the weight of their conversation. "At first, it was nice. We talked about his friend group." she explained, her voice trailing off as she recalled the abrupt shift in their discussion. "But then... when I told him I'm coming to the Outer Banks, it felt like he didn't want to see me." She stopped talking for a minute. "He said that it's complicated and it's better we talk in person." Caroline added.