Chapter 9

Riya was confused and lost in her thoughts when she came across Ashi.

"Are you okay? What happened? Even Yash didn't say anything."

"He told me to choose."

"What?"

"He told me to choose between our friendship and Shubh. I mean, I can't believe he would do that. Shouldn't he be happy for me?"

"He's your best friend; if he said that, there must be some reason for it." Ashi tried to make sense of what was happening: "And speaking of Shubh, how did you guys even get together? Did he ask you out or anything?"

"He didn't ask me out, but you know things happened on the spur of the moment, and we're together."

"Are you sure?"

"What?"

"Are you sure you guys are together? I mean, from what I know of him, he isn't the type to commit so easily."

"But we spent the night of the festival together; that must mean we're together, right?"

Ashi felt bad for Riya, and she couldn't just leave her in this mess, so she decided to get her out of this mud. "Let's go then."

"Where?"

"Let's clear it out right now."

Ashi dragged Riya to the canteen, where Shubh was sitting with a girl.

"Funny thing, Shubh, I heard you were in a relationship." Ashi stood confidently in front of them with her arms crossed.

He didn't even take it seriously and just laughed it off. "Where'd you hear that joke? And with whom?" Riya was shocked beyond her belief; she knew he wasn't a kind type, but she couldn't believe he could be this disgusting. "With me," she said in a hopeful yet depressing tone.

"Why'd you think that?" He said while taking a bite of his sandwich that this wasn't a bit serious to him.

"Don't you remember the night of the fest?"

"Of course I do, and it was great while it lasted, but why would that mean we're together? I mean, I didn't even ask you out."

Riya had enough of this stuff; she was on the verge of tears, but she couldn't leave like this. She had to do something, so she did what any girl would do in that matter: she took the glass of water and splashed it on his face. And before he could say anything, she just ran outside.