Chapter Three: God help the outcasts

Esmeralda hid especially well to the church dressed as an old beggar. Of course, this doesn't go unnoticed by Phoebus who watched her take shelter from the rain. Once inside, Esmeralda dropped her disguise and walks around. In the distance, you could hear people singing. Phoebus approached Esmeralda but she was quick to take his sword and knock him to the ground.

"Easy, easy. I just shaved this morning," Phoebus said backing up against a pillar.

"Oh, really? You missed a spot," Esmeralda said.

"All right, all right. Just calm down. Just give me a chance to apologize."

"For what?"

As she lets down her guard for a split second, Phoebus grabs the sword from her hands and turns it on her.

"That, for example," Phoebus said standing up.

"You sneaky son of a-"

"Ah, ah, ah! Watch it. You're in a church," Phoebus interrupted Esmeralda.

Esmeralda picks up a staff with candles on top.

"Are you always this charming, or am I just lucky?" Esmeralda asked.

Esmeralda swings the staff at Phoebus, who blocks it with his sword. They fight. Phoebus teased her fighting performance as a private dance. Esmeralda hit Phoebus with the stand of the staff.

"You fight well," Phoebus said.

"Well, I don't take kindly to soldiers," Esmeralda said.

The fighting has subsided by this point.

"Eh, I noticed. Permit me. I'm Phoebus. It means 'Sun god.' And you are?" Phoebus asked.

"Is this an interrogation?" Esmeralda asked.

"It's called an introduction,"

"You're not arresting me?" Esmeralda asked.

"Not as long as you are in here. I can't," Phoebus said.

"You're not at all like the other soldiers," Esmeralda said putting the staff down.

"Thank you."

"So, if you're not going to arrest me, what do you want?"

"I'd settle for your name."

"Esmeralda."

"It's beautiful. Much better than Phoebus, anyway," Phoebus said to Esmeralda.

As they gaze into each other's eyes, neither notices Frollo, Maddie, and guards approaching. Maddie's only here because guards and Frollo are with her.

"Good work, Captain! Now, arrest her," Frollo said.

Phoebus still has his back to Frollo and whispered to Esmeralda, "Claim sanctuary."

She looks at him coldly.

"Say it!" Phoebus almost begged

"You tricked me!" Esmeralda sneered.

"I'm waiting, Captain," Frollo said.

"I'm sorry, sir. She claimed sanctuary. There's nothing I can do," Phoebus said.

"Then drag her outside and-"

Maddie hid when the Archdeacon walked over.

"Frollo!" The Archdeacon said walking over, "You will not touch her! Don't worry. Minister Frollo learned years ago to respect the sanctity of the church."

Frollo glared at the Archdeacon before he and the guards turn to leave. But Frollo ducks around a pillar and doubles back. As the remainder of the people have passed, Frollo jumps out, grabs Maddie's arm and twists it behind her.