Chapter Four: Falling for the gypsy

"What is this place?" Maddie asked.

"This is where I live," Quasimodo said hiding a little.

"Did you make all these things yourself?"

"Most of them."

"This is beautiful. If I could do this, you wouldn't find me dancing in the streets for coins."

"But you're a wonderful dancer."

And that was the truth. Quasimodo has seen Esmeralda dance from the tower and he thought it was amazing. And after his up close look at the festival today, his mind hasn't changed.

"Well, it keeps bread on the table, anyway," Esmeralda said before noticing a cloth covering something, "what's this?"

"Oh, no, please oh, I'm not finished! I still have to paint them..." Quasimodo tried to stop her but it was too late.

"The blacksmith, and the baker. You're a surprising person, Quasi. Not to mention lucky. All this room to yourself."

"Well, it's not just me. There's the gargoyles, and of course the bells. Would you like to see them?"

"Yes, of course. Wouldn't we, Esmeralda?"

"Huh? Oh! Yes!" Esmeralda said smiling.

Esmeralda was too focused on her sister making a new friend. Honestly, she was also imagining the two together as a couple.

"Follow me. I'll introduce you," Quasimodo said smiling.

Quasimodo climbed up the scaffolding while Esmeralda and Maddie took a ladder up.

"Never knew there were so many," Maddie said.

Quasimodo started naming all the bells around him as the sisters looked around in amazement.

"And who's this?" Maddie asked looking at one of the big bells.

"Big Marie," Quasimodo said smiling.

Going under Big Marie, Maddie shouts a 'Hello!', which echoes and resonates richly.

"She likes you," Quasimodo said smiling, "Would you like to see more?"

"How 'bout it, Esmeralda?" Maddie asked Esmeralda.

"I'd love to," Esmeralda said smiling.

"Good. I've saved the best for last!" Quasimodo said smiling.

Quasimodo and the sisters proceed outside to a beautiful view of Paris and the Seine.

Although Esmeralda stayed near the door to let her younger sister spend some time with Quasimodo. She hasn't seen her this happy with anyone in years.

"I bet the king himself doesn't have a view like this!" Maddie said smiling, "I could stay up here forever."

"You could, you know," Quasimodo said smiling.

"No, I couldn't."

"Oh, yes, you have sanctuary!"

"But not freedom. Gypsies don't do well inside stone walls."

"But you're not like other gypsies. They're...evil."

"Who told you that?"

"My master, Frollo. He raised me."

"How could such a cruel man have raised someone like you?" Maddie asked sitting with Quasimodo on the roof.

"Cruel?!? Oh, no. He saved my life. He took me in when no one else would. I am a monster, you know."

"He told you that?"