𓆰𓆪 Chapter 1 - Fly or Die 𓆰𓆪

Important information:

If I write in italics, it is the POV's thoughts.
If I write in italics and underline it is someone else speaking in her mind.

Chapters 1-3
(In book)

    The wind whips around me, sending a small tingle along my back

    The wind whips around me, sending a small tingle along my back. The rough, wet rocks jut out and slightly wrap around to form a small doorway. I gently lean against the cold opening, watching the future cadets line up, like sheep to be slaughtered. A chill cools the air around me, caressing my skin and I know exactly who is behind me without looking. My long auburn-blonde hair is tightly tied back into a neat braid that is gently tugged upon. I love it when your hair is like this. My eyes quickly sweep to my left where I see my soulmate and boyfriend, Xaden Riorson. A man made by the gods themselves. His thick, inky hair curls gently around his face, framing his dark eyes and tan skin. Scars litter his body, along with dark tattoos that make him look like pure sin. His features are all sharp and cruel but his smile lights something inside that's been drowned out for far too long.

  He smirks down at me before placing a soft kiss along my cheek "you look beautiful my love." A small blush coats my cheeks and I grab his cold hand in mine, "thank you Xa." (Pronounced z-ay) he leans against the other side of the doorway, scowling at the weather before watching the long line of kids start to weave up the tower. "Here comes the new cadets, do you think we will get any good riders? Or find the rest of our mates?" His low breath tickles my ear and I suppress a sigh, looking at the black initials along my left wrist. I gently trace the gold initials of Xaden and hear a breathy growl before he kisses along my neck. "We never get any good riders anymore. And as for soulmates? I'm okay with just us for now Xa" my fingers curl around his, gently tracing the scars that coat his rough hands. He sighs and shakes his head before dropping my hand and quickly crossing the bridge to the future cadets.. well some. Most will die trying to cross.

   I follow along easily, even doing a slight spin at the end with a smirk directed at Xaden. Show off. A giggle escapes me and his face lights up before quickly turning into a glare as the new kids come through. Some of them openly check us out while others try to size us up. I watch as each person checks in and begins to cross the slippery bridge. Lighting crackles around us as the wind howls, and rains slams into the bridge. Fucking general bitch. Very few make it across and most pile along the bottom of the ravine. I school my features to an impassive scowl, showing no attention to the kids around us. Because that's what they are, just kids. Lining up to die. I take a deep breath, willing the guilt that eats away at my chest to just stop. Xaden instantly pushes me to the side, signaling to go across the bridge to Imogen and check the new cadets in.