○Chapter 10○ The Beach

I quickly rushed back to my room to change into my swimwear. Ah~ The Beach. I have not gone to one for such a long time... The wonderful feeling of the sun and the sand pressing on me. It's wonderful. However, I can't swim. Every time I try to, I seem to drown. It's weird...

"All done~" I said and checked myself using the mirror. I was wearing a white bikini and I let my hair down. I took my sun hat and wore it.

Ugh, screw my small chest...

I grabbed my cardigan and wore over to cover and went out.

+++

"Yuri-chan! Kawaii!" Miharu squealed and hugged me tightly.

"Uh... You can let me go Miharu..." I said awkwardly.

"But you are just so cute!" she continued squealing.

I sighed and pushed her off of me.

"You look so cute Yuri-chan!" Reiji said.

I tilted my head slightly and replied in a disgusted tone, "Please Pervert-Reiji-kun. Don't go eyeing over girls practically 10 years younger than you."

"Ai-kun! Ran-ran! Cam-kun! Yuri-chan is being mean to me!~" Reiji wined and clung onto Ai.

I facepalmed mentally and watched the three boys replying Reiji with their usual "Shut up" "Keep quiet" "You are annoying". Reiji just ran off and attracted other attention.

I sat at the seats and watched the others playing in the sea. I hugged my legs as I felt this strong feeling called jealousy.

Why can't I swim as well?

I frowned and watched. At the corner of my eye, I saw a familiar figure walking towards to the seat next to mine and sat down. I glanced over and saw Ai lying down, resting.

"Are you okay, Ai?" I asked, concerned.

"I just need to recharge a little. The hot sun is really burning me," he replied and rested his eyes.

"I see..." I replied and looked back down to my feet. I sneaked glances at Ai from time to time. He was shirtless and in swimming trunks. I blushed slightly when I saw his exposed body.

Oh god! Why am I getting so flustered? I am used to seeing him half naked at home... Wait... Does he need ice to cool down?

I touched his head and gasped. It was really hot. Then, I ruffled his hair a little. When I was about to pull back my hand, my hand was suddenly grabbed by Ai.

"Don't go... Continue touching my hair like that... Just like how you used to..." Ai said. "It feels nice..."

Like I used to?...

+++

~flashback~

(A/N: This is when Ai was ten and Yuriko is nine)

"Ai! Are you all right?" I shouted immediately when I entered the room.

"Yuriko... I am okay... I just forgotten that I couldn't swim..." Ai replied.

"But, you shouldn't have saved me! I will be fine without you!" I protested.

"But you would drown..." Ai replied. I patted his head and ruffled his hair. He smiled in delight.

"You really like this, don't you?" I asked.

"I don't really feel anything, but I have been programmed to react this way like normal humans. But it feels nice...," he replied.

It's fake... It's all fake... This is what I tell myself but... It feels so real...

"I am glad you like it," I replied and smiled.

~end of flashback~

+++

"That's right," I replied. "I remember you used to smile a lot when I did this."

Why aren't you smiling?

"Do you want me to smile?" Ai asked.

I nodded and so he smiled.

It tugged on my heartstrings and I smiled as well.

"Neh, Yuriko-chan. What's love?" he suddenly asked.

I was shocked by his question. Then, I forced a smile.

"What a silly question..." I replied and laughed.

But in all honesty, I felt my heart break a bit.

"I..."

Confess!

Ai raised an eyebrow.

"I..."

"NO LOVE RULE!"

The annoying voice rang through my head.

"I... will get you some ice!" I told him and ran off.

That... Was... Close...

Ba-dump! Ba-dump!

Eh? Why is my heart beating so much?

Then the reason came right at me.

That's right... I love him.

Drip. Drop. Drip. Drop.

A tear escaped my eye.

I love you!