EIGHT

Murphy walked through the halls of Mystic Falls high, her head down and eyes on her phone as she furiously typed, muttering to herself. Her phone suddenly rang, screen lighting with the name Jeremy. She answered immediately with an eye roll.

"Please tell me I read that last text wrong?" She begged as she stopped at her locker, unlocking and opening it.

"How would I know? What did you read?" He replied in a hushed tone. She glared at her books.

"How did this happen? We were so close to being free of her," She groaned as he laughed on the other end. "I'm serious." She put her phone between her shoulder and ear as she retrieved her books.

"She just came over last night-"

"And that leads to you skipping more school? We had plans today, in case you didn't remember," She slammed her locker closed.

"Of course I remembered, Murph. I promise I will make it up to you" Jeremy responded, making Murphy sigh loudly as she put her head down.

"It's fine. Whatever."

"Murph-" Is the last thing she heard before hanging up.

She blew out a breath, looking up and coming face to face with a determined Caroline.

"Murphy, perfect!" Caroline cheered with enthusiasm. She was definitely on a mission. Fun.

"Hi, Caroline. Bye, Caroline." Murphy spun in her heel, taking a step to leave before a surprisingly strong hand grips her shoulder, turning her back.

"The Sexy Suds Car Wash is tomorrow. You're coming." Caroline ordered with an award winning smile and a threat in her big blue eyes.

"There are not nearly enough words in my vocabulary to describe how little I wish to attend that event," Murphy smiled, turning and walking down the hall alway from Caroline and her groupies.

"Murphy," Someone stopped her with a tug on her bag, she turned her head towards the voice.

"Colin, hey," She smiled, trying to keep the awkwardness from overtaking her features. She cleared her throat. "How are you?"

He adjusted his backpack on his shoulder. "I'm fine. Good. Haven't really heard from you in a minute," he added with a soft smile. Damn

"Yeah, I've just been super-"

"Busy?" He interrupted her, tilting his head. she nodded her head, looking back down the hall.

"I've got to go," she replied after a second as she began to walk away.

"Murphy," He called out quietly, she smiled in apology at him over her shoulder as she walked away.

Not twenty feet away from her previous encounter, someone else called her name.

"Jesus fucking christ, what?" She barked, turning around suddenly, anger written across her face. Two hands immediately went up in surrender, a book in one.

"Sorry," Stefan Salvatore responded in a genuine and apologetic tone. She took in a breath, calming herself. "You dropped this," he held out the book to her like one would hold food out to a wild animal. She quickly took it from him, looking down as her face flushed with embarrassment.

"Thank you," She said politely, turning to leave.

"Are you okay?" He asked, stopping her from moving. she turned back.

"I'm fine. Thanks," She smiled. He returned it sincerely, causing her to speak.

"How about you? you okay?" He tilted his head in question. "You haven't been to school in a few days," She explained, he nodded in understanding. "Plus, Elena's been mopey," She added with a grin, making him chuckle.