1. MEET DR. AVYA RAWAL

Avya
(TW: Forced self harm)

"Another cut" the voice said calmly.

Slowly I put the blade on my wrist, with years of practice with scalpel I manage to keep my shaky hands stable.

"Count" the voice shouted.

I almost jumped at the shouts, my breathing was shallow, the blood dripped off slowly first but soon it joined the already open skin below the recent cut.

"Nine" I said, my words barely a whisper.
"Another one", the voice demanded.

I looked back at the cold eyes, no, please. My eyes were watery, my throat clogged and my heart beats slowing down. I can feel, losing consciousness slowly.

I couldn't move the hands, stars, this is not helping, please just one more, I begged my hands and I'll be left alone for the day.
"Hurry up, Avya, we do not have all day", the voice said.

Do it, you deserve it, my consciousness mocked.

Do I? I asked to the darkness, as it consumed me whole just as the final cut rushed with blood.

I did deserve it didn't I after all.
Red, blood, I had blood on my hands.

_______________________________

The house was dark, empty, soundless.

It is gone, the voice has gone, finally, breathing a sigh of relief, I looked back at my hands, they were cleaned, dried and bandaged, just like every other day.

It has become the routine now.
My headache worsened at the thoughts.

Calm down, breathe and think.

Shower, that's what I needed first, to clean off the blood stains from my clothes and my memories.

Warm water cascaded down my back, as I stood under the shower with head in my hands.

Some days were better, when I could pull myself back and get out of the shower easily, some days I felt like staying under the warmth of water, just a moment of peace.

I hissed as water hit my hands, I had removed the bandage already.

My hands had raw wounds, especially my wrist area, if this continues my hands would permanently be scarred and damaged, and I wouldn't be able to handle the scalpel steadily, it wasn't the pain I was afraid of but my inability to work as a neurosurgeon.

You haven't even entered the hospital since the past three months

Shut up, I closed my eyes as tears left them, my throat throbbed at the tightness in it.

I slide down the bathroom wall, holding my hands close to my chest.

Stars, please help me; get me out of this house, away from the monsters my parents have turned into.

But little did I knew that the only way to get out of this house of monsters was to get into another, this time the devil's.

__________________________

Quite a dark start, nah!

Self harm is a very delicate topic; if it triggers you, I just hope you read the authors note before proceeding further;

Even if the book started with a dark note, it's not completely just sad, exhausting and trauma filled it's equal part happy, overwhelming and joy filled.

Give the book an honest try till chapter 8, I promised the plot twists are worth it!

___________________________

Comment and Vote :)