52. MEET TARA RAJVANSH

The price of freedom is high, it always has been.

Tara's Pov

You may forget the past, but the past does not. Run as you might, however swiftly, however far; it clings to you like a shadow.

A shadow that haunts you.

I raised my glass of wine to my lips, my gaze narrowing as I observed the people gathered. The chandelier above cast a golden luminescence upon the restaurant, lending the room a certain grandeur, though its opulence barely stirred me.

To my right, my son; to my left, my daughters-in-laws. For any ordinary woman of old age, this would be an equivalent to a family gathering—a picture of contentment.

What more could a mother desire than to see her children happy and in good health, to pass the twilight of her days surrounded by her kin?

Not that I intend to depart this world anytime soon.

But it would have been nice, to be normal, just once.

However, life is anything but that. The word 'normal' vanished from my vocabulary the minute I got married, or perhaps it had begun to fade long before that.

Now, I find myself ensnared among revenge-seeking vipers, guilt-ridden men, and bloodthirsty wolves.

I took another sip of my wine, allowing the conversation to drift into focus.

My eyes narrowed further as I heard Abhinav's voice, tinged with hesitation. "So I know we planned, but I still think it's wrong—"

His words were cut short by yet another disdainful scoff from Mythila.

"Are you ever going to allow me to finish?" Abhinav retorted, his frustration evident as he threw his hands up in exasperation. "All you've done since the meeting began is scoff!"

"Oh, spare me," Mythila replied, turning her head away with a dismissive wave. "I was merely expressing my reactions."

"No one asked for your reactions," Kriti interjected with a mocking tone, a sneer curling her lips.

Uncouth, as always, I thought, letting out a quiet sigh.

Mythila's gaze shifted, her tone dripping with sarcasm as she addressed Abhinav. "Is she your spokesperson now?"

Kriti, not one to be silenced, answered before Abhinav could. "No, I am his wife," she asserted, her voice laced with smugness, as if she had just claimed some great victory.

Oh, my dear, how mistaken you are, I mused, taking another measured sip of wine.

"Well, that's plain unfortunate," Mythila added, her attention seemingly more focused on her shoes than the conversation.

Abhinav turned his head sharply, his shock palpable, while Kriti was left speechless, the smirk wiped clean from her face.

"Enough!" I asserted, cutting off Kriti before she could unleash yet another childish retort.