Chapter 4

i wrap my body with the vines and cling onto the wall but the monsters movements from above me caused it to become loose and make me fall about 10 feet.

i scream hitting the ground, alerting the monsters attention. my eyes widen as i find the monster right in front of me, not giving me a chance to move.

one of its claws reached for my stomach. i flinched and closed my eyes waiting for it to do something. instead it rushed away from me as it's afraid of something.

i open my eyes and having no sight of the creature. i gain speed on my feet as it's becoming lighter in the sky. my breath was loud and my heart was thumping.

i see the exit, i stumble through it onto my knees. thankfully nobody saw me. i tumble over onto my back. fuck it's feels like i've broken my back.

minho yells at me across the glade, most likes alarming the other gladers. "get up ella."
he ran over to me, checking for any sting marks. i push him away from me. "watch yourself."

everybody clammed around each other, making me the show of the morning. i groan into my hands, climbing up onto my feet.
alby centers himself in front of me. "what were you doing?"

i froze with my hands by my side. minho asserted. "she was going for a run for the idea of how she wanted to be a runner."

he taps on my back passive aggressively. i grunt lowly, keeping eye contact with alby.

he's either saving me from getting into trouble or himself from him giving me the idea of running the maze.

everyone stood in silence, shocked.
newt stood next to me with his arms folded. "are you sure you're up for being a runner?"

i hesitated and nodded. really? running for a living? i'm not even a fast runner.
i look over towards minho who's giving me a stink eye, making me comply to the job.

everybody leaves leaving me with minho. he dark figure sprang over me. as intimidating as it is to have a 5'10 boy standing over you. he doesn't stand a chance against me.
"i didn't really think you'd go in, let alone come out alive."

i raise a brow, crossing my arms. "so you set me up?"
he shrugs, pouting his lips in. he walked away still shrugging.

i watch him walk away, whether i feel offended or angry.

mid-day occurred. i was helping newt in the garden when there was a loud bang happening in the mid of the glade.
everyone stops on what they're going and moves over to the box.
"it shouldn't be up." newt mutters, showing me the way to the box.

it was the same box i came up in. minho reached down to open the box. there was a boy with a blue shirt stood watching us. gally jumped down, holding out hands towards his shirt and throwing him to the glade grass. "you didn't treat me like that?"

gally turns to me with his eyes narrowed. "because you're a girl."
gally averts his gaze to the scared boy running away from the crowd. i was so offended by his comment that i ran over to the brunette boy to help him up from falling.

"hey." i mutter, holding out my hand. he stared at me in awe before taking a look at this surrounding, taking it all in. "wow." he sighed.
"what's your name?" i query. he looks towards me, brushing dirt off from his shirt. "thomas, and you?"

i held out my hand. "ella." i feel a direct shock, like electrical hit me. the sun was so hot it must've caused it. we both chuckle pulling our hands away.

the night came quickly once again and the fire was cracking. thomas had been shown around by alby and now is hanging out with newt.
minho was sat with the runners whilst watching gally fight with randoms who challenged him.

gally's eyes laid onto mine. he throws a boy out of the lined circle, narrating me to come over. "ready for that fight, greenie?"

i smirk towards him, joining him in the circle. i line up my feet on the edge of the circle. newt creeped behind me with thomas by his side. "ella. you don't have it."

i remove my jacket, passing it towards newt. he moved back observing from afar.
gally's eyes looked me up and down. "don't get too excited gally." i grin. everybody laughed.
he rolls his eyes. "rules: no biting. no punching. and don't get pushed out of circle. yeah?"

my stomach twirls, i'm good with this type of fighting. alby does the countdown, enough time for me to get my head ready. he circles me, waiting for me to be vulnerable.
i dodge his first attempt to push me over. there were oos and aas all around.

he tries a second time, this made him off guard. i flip my body next to him, knocking him off of his feet. he groans, standing back up. "all you got?" he asked, trying to intimidate me.

i stay silent and try to calculate what he's going to attack next. unexpectedly he turns me onto his shoulders. i slide down his back with a front flip, landing on my feet. this made him trip out of the circle.
he lets out a breath of defeat. my eyes wonder he's, hearing the cheering of everybody around.

his jaw clenched, rolling up his sleeves. "i want a rematch." he then started to approach me. "i think you're just a sore loser." i become nose to nose with him before alby gently pushes him away.

"that's enough for tonight guys!" alby announced. everybody groaned in annoyance.

chuck had set up a small bunk for thomas. everyone had drifted off to sleep whilst i lay in my hut, still overthinking everything that occurred today.

i then hear a slight knock at my door.