Chapter 16: The Witch in the Dark

"The blood of a hundred thousand fuels the child's destiny," a gruff voice said.

Sylia opened his eyes and he found himself surrounded by thick fog. He was back in the field where veiled entities gathered at a round table and there they were. He could see, with some difficulty, from behind them and out of view. He was, after all, tiny compared to the five veiled behemoths in front of him.

"It is his fate to end Blarnar's reign over the Gaia. The Miorai cannot be denied," an old and scratchy sounding feminine voice said.

"Blarnar will not accept it. Each day he goes into the mortal realm defying natural law," the gruff voice replied.

"You can stop him father and save all those lives," the feminine voice said.

"My child, I am an observer bound by the natural laws," the gruff voice continued, "Blood must spill and the child must meet his fate."

"Is there no other way?" the feminine voice inquired to no reply.

"Danger from within and danger from without. I pray he find his way," the gruff voice said.

From behind him, a breeze carried the soft feminine voice which said, "do what you must to protect him no matter how unforgivable..."

***

Thunder and Rain

Sylia woke up to a loud thunder. What was that strange dream – a vision; and who was the lady?

Where is Akhilia? In his hand, he felt him and saw he was sleeping peacefully. Sylia looked around and saw that the healer, Pallas, was tending to the wounded.

Many had found their way here; looked like 50 at least. But what happened to Lady Andromida?

There was no more screaming save the groaning of injured men. He put the prince back into the makeshift crib and asked Pallas, "What of the lady?"

"She is inside," the healer said, "and the children are safe."

"Children?" Sylia asked with a concern look.

Pallas replied, "the lady lost consciousness before they could come out. I had to reach in and yank them both out one by one. A boy and a girl, she had. They were healthy but the lady lost a lot of blood. She might awake by sunrise or tomorrow or never; it's hard to say. But for now, she holds on to life."

As Sylia went deeper inside the cave, Pallas said, "Don't scare the children please my lord. They just stopped crying."

Sylia went inside and saw Andromida on a makeshift table, which was just a large flat piece of rock with some bedding, with some rags to cover her. Surprisingly, the room was cleaner than outside. The blood and afterbirth was taken care of and a lamp, scented with incense, was dimly lighting the room. Beside Andromida, in the crib made of saddles and fur, were two glowing children looking at the world with wide eyes – eyes that were green and blue.

"Children touched by Athena?" Sylia said out loud to which the healer, who had come in as well, nodded.

"Their father would be jumping with excitement if he knew. Thank you Pallas. Your services will be greatly rewarded if we survive," Sylia continued and the healer nodded again.

"They are also destined for greatness it seems, my lord. But for now it is time to feed them. Leave the children here. I believe you have work outside," she said.

"They are here!" echoed throughout the cave as someone screamed outside.

Sylia, hesitated for a moment, but then he put the prince on the crib with his new companions. The prince began to cry and Pallas took him and started feeding him milk from a pouch.