Ch. 7: Flashpoint

[New York City – Earth-1610]

Which is giving, "Wine me and dine me, but do not expect to get lucky"?

Felicia held up the emerald chandelier earrings to one ear and the princess cut studs to the other. Her perfectly painted coral lips pursed in irritation. Studs say, "I'm here against my will, but I'm classy."

She turned, assessing her reflection as she fixed the diamonds into place. Her body was tightly encased in emerald green satin, the fit of the gown was sinfully snug and the slit cut daringly high. "You look good, dahling," she purred, yanking up the structured bodice and adjusting her boobs. C'mon, ladies, remain in your seats for the duration of the evening.

She looked like an extremely sexy, extremely expensive piece of arm candy. Which is exactly who she was tonight.

The inevitable hammer that was her date with Flash Thompson had dropped. Her mother had given him her number. They were going to dinner and then to the opera. She would have preferred a gallery opening, but was content to live the 'Moonstruck' fantasy if that's what was required of her.

Felicia's cell buzzed on her vanity top. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

She answered with great flirtatious flair, "Heyyyyy, Spider."

"Hey." His voice sounded even deeper over the phone. "I should be done here by 10 your time. Want me to come over?"

"Umm." Felicia was aware that her voice had gotten higher, "I've actually got a full dance card tonight. How about a rain check?"

She could hear a huge commotion on the other line, but Miguel himself was quiet for several seconds, "Sure. You working?"

"Not exactly." Felicia tried to keep her tone casual, "My mother has set me up with a hot date."

"A date?" His tone was impossible to read. She hoped to all that was holy that it was humor.

Felicia smoothed her hair and slipped on her heels, noticing the hour on the clock for the first time, "His dad and my mom are friends. It's a whole thing. Anyway, O'Hara, I'm really sorry but I've gotta get going. I'm serious about the rain check."

********************

[Somewhere on Earth-98226]

She had hung up. She had a date.

Rage boiled up in Miguel's body like a geyser and his brain desperately attempted to cool it with logic. We never discussed being exclusive. If she wants to go on a date, she is well within her right.

A dire wraith came swooping in from the right, with an otherworldly shriek. Miguel snatched it out of the air, reaching into its maw and ripping out its internal organs in one swift movement. That feels better.

"2099! There are more!" One of his fellow spider-people was calling from across the terrain. Miguel launched his body into the fray, slashing without mercy – his anger simmering, then bubbling over. The way he was feeling, he'd have this entire infestation contained in minutes.

He yanked another dire wraith off of a struggling teammate, rending the beast in two with his bare hands. Let's just get all of this out of our system before we call her back.

********************

[New York City – Earth-1610]

Flash Thompson was exactly what Felicia had expected and yet, somehow, he still managed to disappoint her. Flash was a Columbia man. Very blond, very proud of his former track star physique, and very into sailing. He had spent most of their time together talking about golf and homes in the Hamptons and had incorrectly answered, "I heard you liked Puccini," when asked why he'd chosen opera for the evening's activities. If you'd paid attention to the rundown my mother no doubt gave you, you'd know I'd done my thesis work on Giovanni BELLINI.