Chapter 5 The journey of the gendered child

"When I opened my eyes for the first time, I saw a very bright light. My parents were watching me as I layed inside a massive web. My father was a glowing being with a crown-like shell, while my mother was a tall spider. Like any newborn-child would, I was not sure what was going on. My parents started talking to each other."

"I held my part of the bargain and I expect you to do the same."  "I will. Grant me to spend at least a little time with my child."  "I will give you ten days. I'm afraid I cant give you any longer. The Pure Vessel is ready to be sealed away." „But who will look over my child, when I'm gone?" „If you like, me and my wife can raise your child. It would be the princess, the daughter of Hallownest."  „Although I want to keep my child, I have to hold my part of the bargain, so I will agree. Take good care of her!"  „Of course we will. Thank you, Herrah. I know you don't think much of my Kingdom, but still you sacrifice your life for it. I will have a Memorial to you and the other two dreamers constructed."
The Pale King left the beast's den and Herrah took another look at her child.  „My little Pale child, you will be the princess of this Kingdom. Make me and your father proud!"
The weavers, a smaller tribe of the spider Kingdom, that immigrated to Hallownest a long time ago, used Silk to create a red dress for the daughter of the queen of Deepnest.

„The first ten days of my life, I spent in the Kingdom of spiders. I learnt the basic practises of life, like talking and walking. My mother always told me, that I wont stay long and soon will be taken to a much better place. She told me that my father was a being of great power and that I was one as well. I didn't really care at first. I did not know the truth behind my creation back then. After the ten days passed, the Pale creature, seemingly my father came back to bring me to his residence. My father shook my mother's hand and took off with me. I hardly knew him so I didn't want to go at first, but I had no choice. After we left the dark deep nest, we entered a train-like machinery, that transported us from the home of the spiders to the bright and Pale home of my father. There were bright lanterns everywhere and white structures covered the whole place. As we traversed through this site, I saw a large statue of my father inside a fountain. Then we crossed a bridge that led to a massive White Palace. Dark, mysterious soldiers in white armor were protecting the entrance of the building. When my father and I entered, we were greeted by his loyal servants. The Palace appeared to be very large, as we had to walk for quite a long time until we reached the peak of the construction. At the top, the throne room was to be found. Near it, was a room with a crib. Another Pale being was inside. My father gave me to her and headed out to occupy himself with a different activity. The other bright creature was the wife of my father, the queen of this Kingdom. I was very confused at first. How could my father have another wife, if he got me with my mother, the queen of Deepnest. From this day on, I lived in the White Palace and put to sleep inside the crib.

One day, after I awoke, I took a look outside the crib and saw a creature in white shining armor looking at me. It stared at me for a short while and then took off with my father. The Pale being I now considered my mother, explained to me that this was my sibling and that it would sacrifice itself for this Kingdom. I wondered why it had to do that. What threatened our world, for my sibling to be forced to sacrifice itself?

I also wondered what happened to my mother. So I asked the wife of my father." "Why did I have to leave my mother?" "Your mother had to hold her part of a bargain between her and your father, you see. Now she has to sleep for a while." "And when will she wake up?" "Oh... my child, don't worry. Everything will be fine!" "But that didn't answer my question, so I went to my father after he returned." "Father! Father! When will mother wake up?" "He just looked at me for a brief moment and then said: "She won't." "I was shocked and confused. Nothing made sense to me. Until I entered youth, I didn't know why I was created in the first place."