Chapter Three

( Texts )

Private Number: That old man is not an issue anymore. All we need to do is convince the old lady to play ball with us. Or else. Shouldn't be a problem.

Private Number: If it is take care of it. Time is running out. We don't need anymore delays.

                       -----------

Cassandra Walton smoothed down the blankets on her son's double bed. She hated wrinkles. She liked a tightly made bed. She had already made the bed three times now.

She moved to the bedside table and switched on the lamp. She took an odd pleasure in the warmth of its glow. Her eyes moistened with bright tears as she whispered," Mal , our boy is coming home. With his family and friends. Isn't that lovely? "

" Cassandra? ," She heard from the open doorway. She turned to see  Cynthia Fisher who was  the mother of her son's husband and her good friend. The tall slender Black woman looked worried as she watched Cassandra. But she usually looked worried. Cynthia always took life too seriously. " Cassandra, you need to eat something. The ladies from the church left some casseroles here for you. I have to get to Bible study but you want me to make you up a plate before I leave? "

Cassandra smiled softly. She shook her head slowly. " No , I couldn't eat a thing. Malcolm hated casseroles. "