•🎠 || Safe harbor- YOU (Au)

Regressor: Beck
Caregiver: Joe
Age range: 2-10

*Mega-important disclaimer: YOU is an adult series and I am NOT following the story of the original series (or book). This chapter is an alternate universe created by me in which both have a healthy relationship and both deal with their traumas with therapy and don't have many behaviors that they have in the original series. Remember that I am NOT romanticizing their original relationship and that this is an alternative and desired reality.

End of note

Like almost every afternoon, it was a freezing afternoon in New York City, hectic and messy just like Beck's head that day. She had therapy that day and decided to reflect a little on everything she had talked about. She was finally able to open up to her therapist and talk about something that had been bothering her. Ever since she was a pre-teenager, she has felt vulnerable, abandoned and small at times, especially feeling the absence of her father.

Therapy that day had to be a little longer, Beck really needed to get something off her chest. It was getting dark and she felt tired thinking about so many things. She took a cab back to her house. Joe was there that day to keep Beck company. She arrived at the door and let out a long sigh. She opens the door and Joe is watching something on TV.

"My love, you've arrived, how the session?"- Joe asked, then kissed Beck on the cheek.

"To be honest, I think it was tiring. Not because of the therapist, but I reflected so much that my head hurt"- Beck said, as he sat down on the sofa.

"Tiring? Well, it must have been a long session. You must be exhausted. I thought I'd order pizza for dinner, how about that?"- Joe asks, smiling in an attempt to cheer up his girlfriend.

"I'm not very hungry, Joe. Maybe some other time?"- Beck says, a little discouraged

Joe noticed that Beck was more despondent than usual, something was really bothering her. He felt a little sad when he saw Beck like that, as she was always a ray of sunshine. He wanted to understand what was bothering his girlfriend.

"Well, it seems to have really shaken you up. Do you want to talk about it? It worries me. If you want to talk, I'm always open to you"- Joe says to Beck, hoping it will help her in a way.

Beck thinks for a moment, she's tired and her body reflects it. She lowers her head until she can speak.

"Remember how absent my father was in my life? It's not just conscious consequences I've had, but some unconscious ones too"- Beck begins to explain

"Unconscious consequences? Tell me more about that, hun"- Joe asked, confused.

"Ever since I was little, my mind created a shelter for me, but without help, it wasn't so good. I needed shelter, care and love. And that's been the case to this day. I explained it to my therapist and he had a hunch. He asked me a few questions and came to the conclusion that I have the regression mechanism"- Taking a deep breath and pausing, Beck tried to explain it to Joe.

"Regression mechanism?"- Joe asked, visibly confused.

"Well, I know almost nothing about it. All I know is what the psychologist told me. Apparently, it's a defense mechanism in which the person goes back to a previous stage of development... Basically, your brain regresses to a younger time. In my case, probably childhood... I know, it's very strange, but it seems I've finally understood something about myself"- Beck said, still anxious.

Joe thought about it for a while, probably in one of the thousands of books he'd read. Beck was afraid of Joe's reaction, possibly thinking that he hated her.

"I know it sounds ridiculous, like I'm still stuck in the past. I don't know how that happens. I'm sorry, Joe"- Beck was very fragile at that moment.

Beck felt vulnerable, weak and powerless. All the fear, insecurity, anxiety and pain overwhelmed her body. Joe was heartbroken to see Beck crying, her eyes showed that she was just a hurt child who needed comfort.

"My love, don't be like that. Come here, baby"- Joe said to Beck, opening his arms.

Joe stretched out his arms to take Beck into his arms. As the girl did so, she cuddled up to Joe. She was as tuckered out as a hurt puppy. She cried thinking about all the things that had happened. Her snow-white face was as red as an apple. Joe just comforted her, stroking her back and saying comforting words.

"Beck, my dear, if your mind needs to regress, it shows that we need to welcome this feeling. Defense mechanisms appear to help you, don't feel ashamed about it"- Joe comforted Beck, curled up on his lap.

Beck was feeling increasingly vulnerable, but being in Joe's arms felt safe, his arms were a safe haven. Silence dominated the place, but she felt no discomfort. She only felt Joe stroking her back, as she curled up on his lap. Feeling in a safe haven made her feel much calmer, as she was welcomed. Beck had always suffered from a lack of welcome and finally receiving it from her partner brought her security. She settles into his lap and gives him a tight hug.

"Joe, thank you, thank you so much. No one has ever understood me like this, I'm even confused"- Beck said, still with a few tears on her face, giving a smile.

Joe wipes the tears from Beck's face. He kisses the girl on the forehead, in such an innocent and loving way.

"You're welcome my love, we all have our own ways of dealing with our problems. You know my childhood wasn't the best either, but I have a way of dealing with it. But we're different, and if you need it, I'll help you"- Joe says with a smile on his face.

Beck smiles as she listens to Joe, he's been through so much and he's still a great guy. She knew she had the right person by her side. That short time they had together was so comforting. Joe was definitely her safe haven.

"Well, what if the two of us researched regression together? I think it would help us a lot"- Joe said, then smiled.

Beck nodded in agreement. She smiled at him, who smiled back. For the rest of the evening, they both enjoyed each other's company, strengthening a new bond where each knew the other's fragility.