Chapter 10: Goodnight, Sorry

The punching bag creaks as its ceiling mount bears the force of your thrust, yet all you hear is Beyond Birthday's wet cackles as he is pushed to the ground.

You gear up for another punch, shaking your head. Your fist collides with the bag, sending it back. As it's swinging, it becomes Halle, crumpling to the ground wordlessly, blonde hair speckled with blood.

But then it swings back and it's merely a punching bag again.

You let out a breath, tearing off the boxing gloves and throwing them to the ground. You can't do this.

You turn, sensing a presence in the doorway. You throw up your arm defensively, only for it to be Mello. 

"Your boxing has been getting better." Mello says, running a hand through his messy hair. He looks tired, the bags under his eyes are dark.

"Don't give me that bullshit." For some reason he feels so foreign to you now.

Mello stays silent as you sit down on the boxing mat, tearing off your sneakers and throwing one and then the other. You put your head in your hands.

"I'm sorry." You tell him. "It feels like Kira's return is my fault."

Ever since Halle's death, criminals have been dropping dead of heart attacks across the globe.

Beyond Birthday died from an infection in his head wound.

"It's not your fault." Mello's voice is firm.

"I thought Kira was dead."

"Kira is dead." Mello asserts. "This isn't Kira, it's a well laid out plan Kira left behind."

"Kira's successor?"

Mello frowns at this, "Light Yagami wouldn't have planned for his own death. He was too cocky for that."

"I've been thinking..." You've had a lot of time to think lately. "Why Halle?" You look at him. "Why would they choose Halle to send the message?"

"They were able to get ahold her name, I suppose." Mello scrunches his eyebrows. "Why?"

"It seems odd that Halle would be one the one they chose." You rub your face. "Why not Gevanni or Rester?"

"I think you're overthinking it." Mello crosses his arms. "The SPK has incredible security. They got ahold of a name and used it to convey the message."

You purse your lips. Perhaps you are looking at the situation too closely. You, Halle, and everyone else besides Kira and L's Successors are merely pawns.

"Mello," you look up at him. "Why did you come here?"

Mello shrugs, looking down. "Was just dropping by."

"You, Matt, and Near have been constantly busy since Kira's reappearance. I haven't seen you in over a week. You didn't happen to be walking by, you purposely stopped in... why?"

Mello sighs, casting his gaze aside. "I would still like to box with you." His eyes flick back to you.

You stare at the punching bag. It still swings. "I don't think I want to box anymore." You heave yourself from the floor. "But that doesn't matter, that's not why you're here."

He's silent, sharp eyes watching you closely. He's analyzing you just as you are analyzing him.

"You three have hardly even eaten in between your detective work." You walk towards him. "You wouldn't just... stop by for boxing."

He's better at analyzing than you, "When's the last time you've eaten?" He quips back. "Or slept, for that matter? Gevanni said you've been screaming in your sleep."