Aquarium

Angie's POV

I felt like my mind was reeling from Dave's revelation. I didn't want to harp on what was clearly a very traumatic event, instead deciding to let him lead. So when he changed the subject, saying we should get going to the aquarium, I didn't argue. Despite that, though, his account remained in my mind even as we entered the aquarium's doors, as we bought our tickets, and as we started looking around. I had countless questions I wanted the answer to. Most of which I knew he didn't even have the answer to, like who that man that was killed was, or who the giant who had killed him was. How the giant had gotten to earth, and where he'd gone after the incident.

All questions he likely wanted to know even more than I did, I thought.

I tried to refocus on the exhibits around us, a plan that was so far miserably failing. Jellyfish were plenty intriguing, but they hardly held a candle to the sheer shock factor of what my coworker had just shared with me.

Dave picked up on my distractedness fairly quickly. "Kind of killed the vibe with that trauma dump, huh?" He said, giving a half hearted laugh. I shook my head quickly.

"No-I mean, yes, but like, I'm glad you shared. I just can't imagine what that must have been like to see as a kid, I guess."

Dave gave a small shrug. "Yeah. It still feels surreal to me, honestly."

"And I'm really surprised you're working with Easton and us after...that," I said, the words slipping from my mouth before I could second guess them. Out of the many, many questions I had, that was one of the ones that confused me the most. Sure, Dave's continued unease around our giant coworker made more sense now, but why he'd take and then keep the job now made even less sense. I'd think the last thing he want to do was work with a giant in the middle of nowhere after seeing a giant kill someone in the middle of nowhere as a child.

"Me too," Dave admitted. He met my gaze, giving a resigned sigh. "I don't really know what I was thinking. Or what I am thinking." He paused. "Have you ever been so afraid of something that it almost becomes some sort of fascinating?"

I considered his question. "Well, I guess I like watching horror movies and true crime for kind of a similar reason?"

"Yeah. So there's the whole scary but fascinating part, and then I guess I was hoping maybe working woth Easton would help me get over it, but really I think it just made everything more confusing, because he's so...human? Like, the giant that killed that guy has always just been some shadowy monster in my brain, but Easton's...nice. Funny. Anxious. Kind of awkward...all these traits that don't fit with some caricature of a boogey man. God, I don't even know what I'm trying to say."

"No, no, I think I get it?" I offered.

"And then I end up feeling bad that I am still so freaked out by him, because sometimes he really just seems like another...person? And then I remember he's not even from our world, and he's bigger than some of our buildings, and he could kill me just as easily as that other giant killed that man-and then I just get stuck in this weird limbo of feeling guilty because I don't really think he'd do something that like, and feeling scared because he could, and not wanting to quit because I don't want what happened back then to define my while life, but very much wanting to quit because what am I thinking...and, fuck, I'm really rambling.

"Hey, it's okay," I said, offering Dave a hopefulym reassuring smile. "I don't know how I'd even begin to process all of that, but I'm more than happy to listen if that'll help."

"Thanks," Dave said. "I really am sorry for ruining the vibe, though. I mean, there's some really cool fish here."

"And we have plenty of time to see them still," I said. "Really, you don't need to apologize. I was just trying to process, I guess."

"You and me both," Dave said with a dry laugh.
I leaned over to give Dave a half hug after a moment.

"Thanks for trusting me with that," I said.

We turned to look at the jellyfish in front of us, this silence washing over us this time comfortable instead of awkward. I wasn't exactly sure how long we stood there, the blue creatures in front of us drifting lazily through the water, tentacles swirling behind them. It wasn't either of us who eventually broke the silence, but instead a new voice.

"They're pretty, aren't they," the unfamiliar voice mused from behind us. Dave and I both turned at the same time to see who had spoken. The newcomer was a man perhaps a bit older than us - late twenties or early thirties, if I had to guess. I hadn't seen him enter the dimly lit room that housed the jellyfish exhibit, but then again, I hadn't been paying much attention to my surroundings during our prior conversation.

"They're real mesmerizing," Dave agreed. "It's kind of amazing that they don't have a brain...ocean life is weird."

"All life is weird if you think too hard about it," the stranger said. "It requires such delicate balance." He paused. "Have you seen the alligator exhibit upstairs yet?"

I shook my head. "Not yet. We just got here."

"It's worth checking out, if only to appreciate how long crocodilians have called this planet home."

"Oh, that's right - they've existed since like the dinosaurs, haven't they?"

The stranger nodded. "One of the two remaining archosaurs."

"You seem like you know a lot about animals," Dave said.

The stranger shrugged. "I enjoy learning. I'm Lee, by the way."

Dave extended his hand. "Dave. This is Angie."

"Pleasure to meet you. Are you two from the area?" Lee asked, shaking Dave's hand. I was already shaking my head before he'd finished the question.

"Not really. Just here on a weekend trip," I said. "You?"

"Something similar," Lee replied. "I was in the area for business."

"We're in the area to get away from business," Dave joked.

"I think we all need to do that every now and then. You two work together, then?"

"Yeah. We're both park rangers, we had the weekend off and thought we'd come over here," I replied.

"Park rangers! That sounds like a fun job - I used to work at a park myself. Just as a tour guide, though. Which park are you at?"

"Big Bend," Dave replied.

"Ah, I think I've seen that one in the news a lot recently. Something about hiring a giant?"

"Yeah. An aphirial. His name's Easton Parks."

"A fitting name for his job," Lee said with a laugh. "Park ranger Parks."

I was a little surprised that was what he'd focused on, given the other bit of information I'd offered. Easton's name being ironically fitting had occurred to me as well, though, and I gave a small laugh.

"Yeah, I guess so."

"What did you say you did for work?" Dave asked.

"I didn't, but I'm a freelancer of sorts these days," Lee replied. "It gives me plenty of time to travel."

"That must be nice," I said. "We both stay pretty busy. Still, we're lucky to have gotten this weekend at least."

"Beautiful weekend here too, not too hot. It does get pretty hot over by Big Bend, though, doesn't it?"

"That's putting it lightly," Dave said. "Puts Arizona to shame somedays, I swear."

"I've heard the flash floods over there do too," Lee said. He paused, as if remembering something. "Well, I should get going - I won't interrupt your weekend any further. I hope you enjoy the rest of the aquarium!"

He didn't wait for us to respond before leaving the room.

"Huh," Dave said after a moment. "That was kinda weird."