Chapter 8: The first day on the run

Wendy's POV

King and I are huddled up in a small hut in my old village. We just kept running and ended up in the town. The magic council abandoned this place after the whole Oracion Seis incident. We slept in the old Kait Shelter guild hall. It felt weird being back in this place after so long. We only stayed in the hut because I refused to be in the guild hall any longer than I had to be. I was sitting in the hut just looking out the window. What has are life come to be? King and I are some of the most wanted criminals in the land. I had never imagined it to be this way. I fall into my hands and start to cry on the desk. I feel a hand lay on my shoulder. I grab the hand and start to rub it against my face.

"Oh King, how did it ever get this way?" I ask, still sobbing. He pulls me into an embrace.

"I'm sorry Wendy I never meant it to be this way" King says.

"Am I never supposed to have a family?" I ask.

"I'm sorry Wendy," he says. I feel a tear hit the top of my head. I look up to see King crying.

"I'm sorry your life is a mess, it's all my fault" he says. "I don't blame you if you regret me now, I never imagined this would happen," he says. I jerk away from him.

"How dare you think that" I scream at him. "I told you, I love you" I say, "I don't regret anything that has happened as long as it was to keep us together." I run out the door and just keep running. I had to get away from him for a little bit. I'm wiping my eyes to get the tears out of them when I bump into someone. "King, I don't want to talk right now" I say as I clear my eyes.

"Not quite King," a familiar voice says. I push back and see it's Dorenbolt.

"Dorenbolt how you find me" I ask as I back away slowly.

"It was easy, did you not think we would check your old village?" Dorenbolt says.

"Why won't you just leave us alone?" I ask, taking a defensive stance.

"You two are the most wanted wizards in Fiore" Dorenbolt says. "Speaking of two, where is your husband?" he asks. I get a smirk on my face.

"Shouldn't be too hard to find '' I say as the ground shakes beneath our feet. The massive dragon that is King walks up behind Dorenbolt and his men. I shake out of their grasp while they stare in horror at the size of King. "Dragon slayer secret art, sky drill" I yell as I let a powerful gust of wind fly.

King's POV

Wendy's sky drill picks me up off the ground since I had my wings extended. There are guards flying left and right. I transform back to my human form. I dodge the staffs flying at me.

"Dragon amore" I say as I summon my dragon scales. I grab Wendy and we run. I look back to see the guards are recovered from the drill.

I keep up my pace till I feel my legs start to get weak and weaker. I can't stop running yet, the guards aren't far behind. I could smell ash and tar not far ahead. "Okay, maybe there is a cave we can hide in," I say as I push myself to keep running. About 30 minutes later I could see an opening in the rock wall ahead.

"Maybe that's a cave we can hide in" Wendy says as she points toward the opening. I run in and turn around. I blast the opening with a fire breath. The rocks start to collapse and I run deeper in the cave.

"Stop men," Dorenbolt yells as the rocks collapse in front of them. "Blast those rocks apart," Dorenbolt yells. The men start firing their spells at the rocks. The rocks don't budge.

"King stop, you need to rest," Wendy says. I collapsed from exhaustion. I hit the ground with a thud. My eyes shut and I feel myself pass out. I awoke in the white void again.

"Why am I here?" I ask standing up. There was no response. I started to walk around. A blast of color fills the void. It was the place I had grown up. I saw the place get engulfed in flames. Fire was raining from the sky. I ran towards the city trying to help. I suddenly hit an invisible wall in front of me. I see a ball of dark energy flying around the town fire pouring out of it.

"Help!" a woman screams. I looked where the sound was coming from. A younger woman was trapped under a beam of wood. The fire was getting closer and closer to her. A dark figure approaches her. "No not you, you did this" the woman says in a look of horror on her face. The figure squats down and looks her in the eye. I had to look away because the figure used a breath attack and set the woman on fire. I covered my ears cause the screams were horrifying. When the screams died down I heard the figure chuckling.

"See what I have become" the figure yells, "I am more powerful than all of you." I recognize the voice. Suddenly the whole vision goes white.

"That was a memory," I say in shock. I was horrified by what I just saw.

"Oh don't ask surprised," a voice says. I turned around to see a dark misty version of me.

"Why are you here?" I ask. "I have always been here," the misty figure says. "No matter how you try to lock me away" It says.

Wendy's POV

I had moved King's body over against a wall so he would be a little more comfortable. He passed out fast after he stopped running. I looked him over. All over his body were burn marks and cuts. The magic council treated him horribly. It felt like days had passed when King finally woke up.

"Where are we?" King asks.

"We are still in the cave" I say. It was too dark to see anything. King lit a small fire on the ground, with some debris that had fallen in the cave. King was just staring at his arms. The dragon scales have gotten worse. They used to only cover his hands and lower arms but now they cover his arms and upper chest. Every time he transforms they seem to get worse.The scales are a deep black they have a sheen to them. They almost look like Agnilogia's scales.

"I know," King says as he catches me staring. "They're getting worse," he says as he stands up. "I don't know what will happen when they take over" he says with a distinct look in his eyes.

"What do you mean?" I ask, "When they take over?"

"Nothing," King says as he shakes off the distant look, "Let's focus on getting out of here,"

"Right," I say as we start to head deeper. I had a dark feeling. What did he mean when they take over? I can't think about that right now. We have to find a place to stay tonight.

Back at the guild hall

"Gramps, what are we gonna do?" Natsu yells slamming his fists on the table. "They need our help," he says. Gramps was sitting on the bar in deep thought.

"Natsu calm down, we are all worried," Grey yells from the other side of the guild hall.

"Grey, pants!" Cana yells.

"I'm sure the master is thinking of something to help both of them," Mirajane says, looking at Makarov with a hopeful look.

"I said we can't help them right now," Makarov says with a stern look in his eyes. Natsu starts to run towards the door and gets crushed by Makarov's fist. "The magic council is watching us like a hawk," Makarov says, "They will scrutinize everything we do"

"So we can't help them?" Lucy asks, distraught in her voice. "After all they have done for us,"

"I didn't say we could never help them but we have to lay low for now till the time is right" Makarov says. The whole guild gave a silent nod.

"Come on Natsu let's take a job to take your mind off of this" Lucy says as she picks Natsu up off the floor. They both look at the job board to find them a job.

"What about this one?" Natsu asks picking a flier off the board. The flier had a picture of a monster. "Need help to exterminate a troublesome monster, deep in a cave system" He says as he reads the inscription on the paper.

"That sounds good," Happy says, "Come on let's go"

"I would like to come along," Carla says standing behind the bunch. "Wendy is in trouble and I need something to calm this feeling I have," She says tapping her foot anxiously. The group sets off towards their destination.