Prologue

Hana Huong was a 13-year-old Chinese-American girl with bright blue eyes and long, straight black hair. She wasn't like other people. She never really fit in. She had no friends. Everyone always treated her unfairly, even her family. No one really understood her.

One night, Hana was about to start her bedtime routine, when she decided to gaze at the stars.

"I'm sick and tired of this life," she said to the heavens. "I wish I led a different life. One where I can feel truly respected."

She then brushed her teeth, got into her pyjamas, went to bed and fell asleep, hoping her wish would come true.

When she woke up, all she saw was darkness. That's weird, thought Hana. I can't tell if my eyes are open or closed.

"Little one." Just then, she heard an elderly echoing voice. She looked up and saw a tiny, yellow ball of light coming towards her.

"Are you some kind of god, or am I dreaming?" Hana asked.

"God, no god," the ball of light said. "Dreaming, not dreaming. That doesn't matter. What is important is that you have been chosen."

"Chosen?" said Hana. "As what?" She noticed a stream of peach blossoms was beginning to form around her. More of them started to appear, until they surrounded Hana.

"Chosen as the apprentice," the ball of light replied. "To who?" asked Hana.

"The Dragon Warrior," the ball of light answered, and with those words, the darkness faded from under the blossoms.