10| Silent Treatment

Few hours back

Rahul dropped Reyansh's home.

As Reyansh stepped inside, he noticed Meher in the lounge who was about to ascend stairs.

"Meher idhar aao," he called out firmly, catching her attention.

Meher took small steps towards him, her eyes cast downward but Reyansh gently lifted her chin with his finger , her eyes were filled with tears

"Speak." he said , his tone calm yet commanding.

But Meher remained silent

"Mainy kuch bola hai Meher" Reyansh said sternly making her flinch

Reyansh never scolds Meher , she wasn't used to this side of him . He have always been a calm and cool brother to her as there father is a very strict person .

"Kia boloon?" her voice barely audible.

Reyansh's patience wore thin and he snapped harshly, "Wohi jo aj kar k aai ho"

"I promise, bhaiya mainy cheating nahi ki." Meher pleaded, her gaze dropping once more.

"Look into my eyes when you speak," he commanded sternly.

"I promise I didn't cheat," Meher repeated, her voice trembling with emotion.

Reyansh softened slightly.

but his inquiry remained firm. "Aur karwai kyun?" he asked calmly.

"Anu ko kuch nahi aata tha bhaiya. She wasn't prepared for the test." Meher explained tears still streaming down her cheeks.

He was to bear seeing his sister in distress and enveloped her in a comforting embrace.

"Bss Mehu mainy kuch bhee toh nahi kaha" he whispered soothingly, his hand gently rubbing her back.

"Sorry, bhaiya," Meher whispered finding solace in her brother's embrace.

Reyansh gently pulled Meher out of his embrace.

"Mehu, you know Rahul. You're aware of his temper. Apko acha lage ga jab woh Anu ko daantega?" he asked softly, and she shook her head.

"You should have informed her a day earlier about the test. You're her friend Mehu friends apni friends ki help karte hain unhe problem main nahi dalte. What you did was wrong aswell." Reyansh advised.

"Sorry, bhaiya. I won't do it again," Meher replied contritely.

"Test aata tha?" Reyansh inquired, and she nodded.

"Meher, this evening you'll solve the same test to me. You'll be having a good 2 hours study session with me till your exams . And from now on, if I find out you've helped someone cheat, I won't be lenient. Also, write an apology letter to your teacher. Understood?" Reyansh stated firmly .

Meher nodded, tears once again welling in her eyes.

"Ab Kia hua ?" Reyansh asked

"Ap daant rahy hain and you're taking my full name aisy lag raha hai baba daant rahe hoon" she replied, sniffing.

Reyansh couldn't help but smile and hugged her.

"I promise I won't do it again sorry," Meher said, resting her head on his chest.

Reyansh kissed her head. "It's okay. Come, let's eat something," he said, leading her towards the kitchen.

Back to present