Chapter I

This story is a work of fiction. While it may contain references to actual people, events, establishments, and locales, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this [speech/passage] are products of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to real-life occurrences or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

©All rights reserved

In a small village up north-west, the wind blew gentle and accompanying it was a little bit of cold and dryness. It was not very developed as the roads weren't paved and there certainly was no sidewalks, but the village had it's own magic which made it unique.

Yang Zhilan rode her bike along the narrow village road, her long hair flowing behind her in the wind. A basket attached to the front of her bike held her bag and groceries. As she pedaled, she couldn't help but gaze at the setting sun, its warm hues casting a golden glow over the surrounding fields.

In the distance, she spotted a familiar farmer couple making their way home, carrying their tools. Recognizing them, Yang Zhilan waved enthusiastically, a smile lighting up her face. The couple glanced towards her and waved back, their tired expressions transforming into ones of warmth and familiarity.

Walking beside them, their five-year-old son, Xiaobai as she called him, clutched his mother's hand tightly. His eyes lit up with excitement as he spotted Yang Zhilan approaching.

"Sister Zhilan!" Xiaobai exclaimed, his voice carrying through the gentle breeze. He waved at her with all his might, his small hand moving vigorously in the air. Yang Zhilan responded, her voice filled with affection, "Xiaobai! How are you?"

"I'm fine!" Xiaobai's response reached her ears, carried away by the wind and the increasing distance between them.

As Yang Zhilan continued her journey, and she eventually arrived at her home. She parked her bike, carefully securing it, and gathered her bag and groceries. With a sense of familiarity, she entered the house, her mother busy in the kitchen, preparing a meal.

" I'm home, mother." She said entering the kitchen to place the groceries she bought in the market down.

Upon seeing her, her mother smiled and patted her arms affectionately.
"Welcome home. What did you get from the market?"

Yang Zhilan started to take out the things she bought, " I got some pepper, cauliflower , tomatoes, oil, ooh ,I got a free pack of strawberry from the local aunty down the street. She said it was my graduation gift. Again."

Yang Zhilan shook her head with a smile, " I graduated about a year ago but she seems to forget that and gives me this or that from time to time ."

"Oh hush, she is just using it as an excuse or else you won't take it. Hurry and go wash up." Her mother turned to her waving her ladle at her to send her off.

It was almost unnoticeable but, a small bruise on her mother's forehead caught Yang Zhilan's attention. She frowned and was about to comment when she heard footsteps enter into the kitchen and her gaze met her brother's, whom she hadn't seen in over a year.

" You're back, Zhilan."

" Chu? Brother!" A surge of excitement coursed through her, and she rushed towards him, arms wide open for an embrace. He reciprocated, lifting her off the ground, as they laughed in joy at seeing each other.

"You've become even more shorter since the last time I saw you," her brother remarked playfully.

" Hmph! And you've become dumber." She pushed on his shoulder a smile breaking out on her lips.

" Mom! Zhilan is calling me dumb again." Yang Chu complained .

"Well aren't you?" Their mother quipped, " You can't even find yourself a girlfriend and you are nearing your thirties."