Chapter 5: Ascension and Departure

Valia and Zain sneak into the ceremony hall, eager to find the best seats to witness the arrival of the young force-sensitive beings from all corners of the galaxy who will join the academy. The two friends arrived early, impatient to see the members of the New Jedi Order Council enter for the Starlight Ceremony.

They observed with curiosity the youthful faces of the newcomers, reminiscing about their own initiation ceremony and the emotions that had filled them at the time.

Zain, enthusiastic, shared with Valia his excitement about seeing Master Koffi announced as the new secretary. He was looking forward to the start of the ceremony, ready to show his support and respect for the one who guided him the past three years.

Valia, on the other hand, was eagerly awaiting the Grand Master's speech, curious to learn about the directives and values she would impart to the newcomers and to the entire Jedi Order.

This particular relationship with the Grand Master dated back to Valia's entry into the academy. Since her appointment, the Grand Master had shown a keen interest in Valia's progress, sometimes coming to observe her during lightsaber training or Force mastery exercises.

The Grand Master often intervened in classes to offer specific advice to Valia, sometimes in disagreement with other instructors. Valia felt seen when the Grand Master was present in the room, but she particularly appreciated that she treated her with delicacy, not forcing her to speak too much or to confide in her.

At first, she believed that this interest was because of her family name. It was normal for the Grand Master to oversee the education of the heir of the Laurine. But she quickly discovered through their interactions, never long but always productive, that the Grand Master had her best interests at heart.

This was a marked difference from her mother and other family members, whose concerns were solely focused on the interests of the Order and their clan. Valia found herself secretly dreaming that the Grand Master, aware of her skills with the lightsaber and in the use of the Force, would oppose her assignment to Ahch-To, and that she would decide to appoint her as a Jedi Knight of her own authority. These reveries sometimes went as far as imagining becoming the Grand Master's Padawan.

But she understood the delicate situation of the Grand Master and could not blame her, knowing that she herself had not been able to say no to her family. She pushed away this feeling of bitterness in time and decided to fully enjoy the ceremony.

The ceremony began with an impressive display of light games, illuminating the room with shades of blue and green, representing the peace and harmony of the Force.

During this luminous spectacle, at the entrance of the hall, the lights suddenly went out, plunging the assembly into darkness. Then, like distant stars lighting up a nighttime sky, beams of light began to dance, creating a mystical and solemn atmosphere.

At the same time, the doors of the hall swung open wide, making way for the appearance of the six secretaries of the Jedi Order. Each of them was surrounded by an aura of respect and wisdom, their green-striped robes floating lightly behind them as they moved toward their seats. Secretary, two from each branch, is the lowest rank of the New Jedi Order Council. Secretaries, in addition to sitting on the council, are assigned specific tasks by the Grand Master and High Masters, who give them responsibilities based on their areas of expertise.

To become a Secretary on the New Jedi Order Council, besides the need for a vacant position, mental maturity is crucial, especially due to the disparities in lifespan among the different races within the Order.

Only those who demonstrate this maturity have the privilege of undergoing an interview before the Jedi Council. After passing this interview, five finalists will be selected by the council. These finalists will be subjected to a vote by the members of the Order. The one receiving the most votes gets the seat. Once the secretary joins the council, they can participate in votes on measures and decisions made. However, their vote counts only as one voice among the other council members.