Where it Begins

The second her boots hit the cement and the hissing of the bus pulling away came to her senses, she felt an overwhelming sense of anxiety. Short brown hair whipping in the wind and somehow blinding her. 

Tanner shoved her dark grey, large square glasses further up her nose and held her breath as her hazel blue eyes scanned her surroundings, looking for familiar long dark hair. She knew her best friend of 5 years was supposed to meet her somewhere around here but she didn’t know where.

Tanner let out the breath she was holding and gripped her bag tighter. Time to find the Cafe they were supposed to meet at.

“Oh good, bus was on time!” A girl in a navy blue and white pinstripe jumpsuit, and black rectangle glasses strutted over to her. Her movement was purposefully done in a way to make her high pony swing. “Thought it would be easier to meet up with you at the bus stop than risk you getting lost.”

Tanner wasn’t given much time to prep when the girl suddenly ran forward, hugging her tightly.

“Nice to finally see you in person, hun!” The girl squeaked out as her arms all but became love pythons.

Tanner laughed loudly and hugged her back tightly. “Dude, seriously, this is the most exciting my life has been since Jake started school.” She snickered, knowing full well her kid was in good hands with his godparents. “We don’t really have much to catch up on since we text daily.” A wide smirk on her pierced lips as she took a step back.

“Well, I have the new update that I finally finished Bleach,” The girl said, waving her phone with a large eye roll. “I couldn’t put my phone down last night after messaging you and… well, I finished that dumpster fire of an ending.”

Tanner laughed loudly once again as they started walking towards the cafe. “Luna, you seriously couldn’t even remember half of the new characters' names. Not that I blame you, what’s even with all the ridiculous amount of Spanish in a Japanese manga in the first place?” Her face screwed up in confusion as she shook her head. “I honestly just finished reading last night too! Caught up finally. I didn’t really like how it ended but at least not all of my favorite characters died.” She sighed sadly, shaking her head.

The glare she had gotten from Luna could have set the world on fire. “Lucky you. Manga had to kill all my favorites and then make my actual favorite a zombie for two panels. I’ve just accepted the fact that anytime I have a favorite in a show that isn’t the main character, they’re gonna die. Bloody authors making the death flag characters likable.” 

“You’re still in a Harry Potter phase, huh?” Tanner asked, a laugh in her voice which indicated that she was amused by her best friend’s dilemma.

“Yeah, and there’s kids nearby, don’t want to cuss around them.” Luna held open the door for Tanner and hopped in line. “Order whatever you want, my treat.”

The sour look on Luna’s face twisted into one of pure polite cheerfulness once they reached the barista. He smiled at the two of them. “Welcome in, what can I get for you?”

“Hi, could I have a grande mango dragon fruit, please? With extra juice, please.” Luna reached into her purse and fished out a wallet covered in axolotls. 

“And I’d like an Iced Mocha Frappe. Grande please.” Tanner chirped, bouncing on her heels, knowing full well the caffeine and sugar were going to hype her up more than she usually is.

Luna paid for their drinks and the two claimed a seat. “Anyway, the only thing that’s stuck to my mind is that part where Aizen is cracking his neck in chapter… uh.” She opened her phone, flipping through her gallery. “I gotta delete these screenshots. This one, on chapter 624. Summarizes me every five minutes in class.”