Chapter 5: Mushrooms & Blood

There were dead fish and other marine life on the shore. Normal fish people, called Sahuagin, attacked the group in camp. Their blue scales and claws made them ferocious. They were not happy with the contamination of the water and blamed the Baldurians for the blight. They told the group about a mansion near the water that was creating undead and polluting the water. They made a deal not to attack if the blight was lifted.

"So, where are we going? A wild goose chase for some random house of undead?" Shadowheart needled.

"No, we are going to the Count House. If I was going to get people to one place, I'd attack the place where the gold is," Rayna replied.

"Callus but smart," Wyll said. "Both the Fist and City Watch would be called to defend the Nobles' gold."

"Exactly."

On the way the group stopped at the only open store, The Lodge. Rayna tensed when she saw Blurg, the Hobgoblin. He wore blue robes and studied an array of mushrooms at a desk. He stood when the group entered, "Ah, living guests!"

"How is it that you are open. The rest of the city is deserted?" Shadowheat asked.

"I hope to continue my work and guide my brethren to a safe place to practice. This establishment is one of several that was built with holy wood. No undead can enter without great pain," Blurg said. "I have wares if you'd care to trade."

Astarion smirked. He entered without trouble.

"In a moment, do you know of this mansion that is turning out undead?" Rayna asked.

"Ah, it's not a mansion though there is one near the edge of the water that seems to be home to a few. The Newspaper down the way is where the undead congregate," he said.

Astarion noted her clenched fists and taut stance. He could smell the fear wafting off her and wondered why in Faerun would a lowly hobgoblin make her so tense.

Rayna thanked him and turned to leave.

"Wait, I want to trade with Blurg," Shadowheart said.

"If he has any circlets or an enchanted necklace buy them for me." She handed Shadow a bag of gold. "I'll be outside." Rayna waited for the others on the stairs. She took a few calming breaths and started playing her flute.

When the others came out, they made their way toward the Count House. "I found this gold circlet of healing and a necklace that grants a spell called Magic Missile. How did you know he'd have these?" Shadow asked.

"I didn't. I always look for those. I'm glad he had it," Rayna lied. She took the circlet, which added healing every time she healed someone else and the necklace and put both on.

"Who did you rob to get all this gold?" Astarion asked.

Rayna chuckled, "Actually, I won a bet. The human didn't want to pay up. I cast Tasha's hideous laughter on him and his companions. That's the hull."

"Gods, what was the bet?" Shadow said.

"He bet that I couldn't roll a natural twenty, three times in a row."

"And of course, you did," Astarion said.

"Naturally," she smiled wide.

>>>

The Count House was guarded by two ailing humans. They wore robes with glyphs and the lich king himself depicted on the back. They had partially been turned to stone.