The Turning Point

In Jay's viewpoint...

"Ouch! Jay, it hurts." Alfie started to complain when pain spread through his wounds and got into his nerves. Ignoring Alfie's intentions, I held on even more tightly on a metal forceps and used it to press a tiny ball of cotton onto Alfie's wounds. Earlier, Alfie was hit by his dad again. That man had a bad temper and got pissed off easily even if it was just a tiny little thing. Although I knew what made that man turn into like this, I never understood it. He was always releasing his anger to the outside, but he didn't seem to quite understand what this would cost in the future. As I put myself in my mind, I continued to treat Alfie's wounds. But Alfie kept on resisting me.

"Don't move, Alfie. If you keep on moving, I can't treat your wounds," I stated and pressed the cotton ball again on Alfie's arm.

"Sorry." Alfie understood me and tried to stop moving but his face betrayed him. He sure didn't like the feeling of having his wounds sterilized with alcohol.

"Today is a terrible day, isn't it? You got bullied by classmates and got kicked by Dad. So many wounds, so much pain......"

"Stop it, Jay. I don't want to recall my memories." Alfie interrupted me. My eyes got darker again when I remembered what happened today.

".....sorry, Alfie. It's half of my fault though. This won't happen if I buy the right bottle of wine......." I apologized. Alfie looked up at my face immediately when he heard me saying sorry again, he didn't like my answer.

"Come on, Jay! This is not your fault. None of it is! It's not the first time Dad got mad like this," Alfie explained.

"Then whose fault, is it?" I asked. My question startled Alfie, he remained silent. Although I wished him to do the opposite. If only he could be a bit more cold-blooded and braver, I would have done something to solve all these problems already.

"Err.........let's leave that aside, Jay. What did you do today while I was at school?" He asked.

"Well, I was bored staying at home so I went out to the street today. There are some restaurants serving new dishes and drinks. They all looked so delicious......but......"

"But?"

"......remember that delicious pearl milk tea shop I often went to before? When I was on the street, I heard some people saying that that shop will be relocated to another place. And tomorrow will be the last day of operation. I guess we can't go there anymore."

"I wanted to take a look at the shop for the last time but you know......that shop is far away from school."

"Oh. What a shame. How about we go there tomorrow and buy some drinks before it relocates? I haven't tasted a drink of pearl milk tea for a long time."

"Really? I love it! Let's go there tomorrow!"

"What about you, Alfie? Has anything interesting happened at school?"

"Not really. There is nothing interesting at school........but in the morning, there is something special. I met a male reporter near the school gate. His name is Carlo Eric."

"A reporter?" I felt strange, why would a reporter come here and visit Alfie's school?

"That's weird. Why did he come here?" I asked.

"Who knows? I didn't ask him. We just met for a couple of minutes. We didn't talk much."

"Is it?" I replied, I didn't show much interest in that man. I'm sure he is just an ordinary reporter.

"Anyway, I guess you must be exhausted today. While you were downstairs, I picked two games." I placed back the forceps in a first-aid kit next to me and took out two different kinds of board games.