on my own.

Sometimes I remember life before the fall, how I wished something would happen, how I wished the world would end from aliens or whatever, but instead we got Biters, and what's more upsetting is that even if you die from a gun shot, or from old age, or naturally, you still come back, you become the walking dead.

I walk along the abandoned road, paper flying around my feet, the hot sun on my face, my sweat rubbing the blood off of my body, my thirst, my hunger, I settle down for the night in an old barn, I can hardly sleep ofcorse, I'm sat leaning against the barn wall, throwing my dogs tennis ball up and down, watching ut rise and fall, I throw it up, and watch it fall, letting it his the ground, remembering how Swirl would've caught it and brought it back to me...

I wake up the next morning, the last few drips of water fall into my mouth from my water bottle, I get up and head down the road again, the sun even hotter than yesterday, I walk and walk, throwing the ball up and catching it, suddenly I see what looks like a huge... prison? Eventually I get to the prison, I see people, having food and conversing, oh how I miss that, I walk up to the gate slowly, dragging my feet like the biters do, I drop my heavy back pack and the ball, I walk towards the fence and hold onto it, a stern looking man walked over to me amd pulled out his gun... still holding myself up by the fence I managed to say "I'm alive" then I dropped to my knees.

My eyes flutter open, my vision slightly blury, I'm on an old uncomfortable prison bed in a cell, the door looks locked, I hear two men having a conversation outside Man 1- "Daryl, we don't have a spare cell right now you know this." Man 2- "ain't the whole pint of us lettin people in to... let em in?" I cough Man 1- "she's up" shit!! I think to myself, sitting up quickly, it's the stern looking man from before, except his face is calmer now, nicer... he unlocks the cell and walks in, another man around his height walks in behind him, holding a crossbow in the direction of my head, the stern man walks closer to me "I'm Rick grimes" he holds his hand out "Danielle" I respond shaking his hand "that's my good friend Daryl" he says then looks behind him. I give Daryl a smile, he nods his head to say hello, I look back to Rick "Listen if you don't have space I can go, I'll be fine" I say, Rick turns to Daryl, Daryl then lowers his crossbow "share with me for a bit till there's space... if you wanna" I sigh from relief "that'd be amazing" I reply.

That night I was sitting on the top bunk in Daryls cell, I hadn't met any of the others yet since I was pretty much sleeping all day and everyone had gone to bed by the time I woke up, so I just came into Daryls room and put my bag down, I could tell he slept on the bottom bunk since it was all messed up, n the top bunk was completely neat, I sat on the top bunk, throwing my tennis ball up and down once again, the baby had stopped crying from before, it was almost silent, except from the sound of the tennis ball landing in my hand when it came down every few seconds, I threw it up and watched it come down, as it hit my hand, I didn't quite catch it and it rolled off, suddenly I saw a big hand catch it, then put it back on my bed, I picked it up and looked over to see Daryl sat on a chair by a small desk in the corner, turning on a candle lamp, the lamp was just bright enough for me to see his face, I sat up, almost waiting for him to say something, but he just sad there and played with his fingers, I mustered up the courage to say "you alright?" All I got in response was a "mhm" I didn't realise how how gruffly his voice was earlier, it seems mean but I find it really comforting in a wierd way... "thanks by the way" I say, playing with the tennis ball in my hands, looking down at it "for what?" Daryl replied, I look over to Daryl, who's now looking at me "for letting me stay with you, I really appreciate it" Daryl just nodded in response "s'alright" I leant back against the wall again, slowly drifting off to sleep