9: Meeting Mio

Mio name meaning, "beautiful, cherry blossom"

"Sanada. Sanada. Sanada." Mio repeated until Nyoko finally looked up at her friend.

"Yes, Chino dear?" She asked sarcastically, her fingers continued to type furiously at her keyboard.

"Tonight is the night, isn't it?" From behind the screen of Nyoko's computer, Mio was sitting, smiling at Nyoko.

"Yes, it is." She stopped typing and moved the computer screen so she could look at Mio. "Toji said he would like you to pick where we are eating dinner tonight."

Mio smiled. "That's a dangerous game."

"I know, and I warned him, but he doesn't care."

"You have no idea how excited I am to meet him...again." Mio was quick to correct herself. "It will be nice to talk to the man that has captured your eye."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well, I've just never seen you so interested in a guy." Mio paused. "Really in any guy."

"I'm just careful with whom I like."

"And yet you're friends with me." Mio joked.

"If I remember correctly, you were the one who cornered me into being your friend."

Mio shrugged. "You just looked lonely."

Nyoko would never say it to Mio, but she was grateful for Mio's inability to keep to herself. If she didn't have Mio, then she wouldn't have anyone in her life that didn't see her as "Nyoko the non-sorcerer". Mio saw Nyoko for her accomplishments and that alone. She didn't see her as being less than others simply for not having cursed energy.

"Well. I look forward to tonight." Nyoko smiled before returning back to her work.

Toji looked Nyoko up and down for about the tenth time. She was wearing a dress that Mio had picked out for her. It was even one of Mio's dresses. It was tight in all the right places and cut in all the right places. Not to mention he could feel Mio's eyes on him all night, so he wanted to make sure he was playing the part well. But Nyoko and that dress was making that job so much easier.

The two had arrived at the restaurant Mio had picked out later than intended. And by later that meant that they got there after Mio for once (Mio is known for being late). They took their seats and Nyoko was surprised by how silent Mio was. Usually, she would take the lead in conversations, but now she was sitting in silence and wouldn't speak unless spoken to.

"Did you hear what happened today in sales?" Nyoko asked.

"Of course." Mio sent Nyoko a sweet smile. "Didn't I tell you that I started talking to one of the salesmen?"

"No. Who is it?"

Toji had his arm slung over the back of Nyoko's chair. He was leaning back in the chair, listening in on their conversation. He had never seen Nyoko talk so much, even with Mio being more quiet than usual, she still brought out Nyoko's extroverted side.

"Toji-" Nyoko called to him. "Are you ok? Honey, I kept on trying to get your attention." It was weird and unnatural to call Toji any pet names.

"Sorry." Toji wiped his hand over his face. "It was a long day."

"I'm sorry." Nyoko rubbed his thigh.

"Did you zone out? Or were Nyoko's boobs just that distracting?" Mio asked.

"Chino!" Nyoko's whole face went red.

Toji hadn't realized it, but when he had zoned out, Nyoko's chest was what his eyes decided to fixate on. Sure, he had been looking, but he was being more inconspicuous than that.