chapter twenty-two

Gert drove to the dance with Garfield in the passenger seat, and drove her way to an empty parking spot. Garfield and Gert wait in the parked car looking around to try and spot molly. From the bushes Molly runs to Gert’s car and opens the back seat door and greets the two party-dressed teens with a smile.

“How was Molly’s day off, steal a sports car or lead a parade?” Gert asks with a smile, while turning sideways to get a better look of Molly.

“Pretty much. I rode the trolley at the Grove, checked out the Tar pits  and grabbed a slice of razzleberry pie at Marie Callender's. Thanks for hooking me up,” Molly smiles as she waves the money in Garfield’s face as the boy pushes her away.

“Flower, I gave you the money to have fun. I’d have thought you would have gotten loads of Candy. I’m disappointed.” The boy cries dramatically as he holds his hand to his heart which causes the girl to laugh at his fake pain.

A small roar is heard from beneath the blanket in the trunk of the car taking both Garfield and Molly by surprise, “You brought her?”

“She’s been there the whole time?”

“Figured we’d need some backup if we’re gonna save the world tonight.” Gert response not regretting anything.

“I missed you, girl! Hi!” Molly talks in a high pitched tone as she takes the blanket off from the dinosaur's head and starts to pet her.

“Do you think we’re the firsts ones here?” the boy wonders as he looks around past the cars to the people walking into the building trying to spot anyone familiar.

“Chase was in a while ago. He went inside, and left me with this.” Molly exclaims excitedly, raising a brown backpack that showed the fistigons, “Maybe I’ll give them a try.”

“Do not touch anything,” Gert quickly warns.

“Not even the x-ray goggles?” Molly quizzes sadly.

“Especially those” Gert advises as Garfield and Molly share a look. Gert looks out the car window to see the rest of their friends arriving, “I don’t want you getting in trouble and it looks like the rest have arrived.”

“That translates to she doesn’t want you to do what she did,” Garfield grins, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively as he gets his head shoved into the window.

“I’m gonna head off and see what Chase is up to.” The brown eyed boy huffs as he moves to open the door.

“You sure look handsome for a mission, Beastie.” Molly slyly states before the boy could reach the handle.

Garfield dressed in a sharp, tailored suit, he effortlessly commands attention. The suit jacket, impeccably fitted to his frame, accentuates his youthful silhouette, while the crisp, white dress shirt beneath adds a touch of sophistication. His tie, carefully selected to complement the suit, is expertly knotted at his collar, signalling a sense of refinement beyond his years.

His trousers, perfectly hemmed, fall with a tailored grace, completing the ensemble with polished finish. The shoes, polished to a mirror shine, add a final touch of elegance. Despite his formal attire, there’s a sense of relaxed confidence about him, as if he’d effortlessly be comfortable in his formal choice which is odd for the usually awkward and anxious male.

“Thanks, Molls.” Garfield replies, grateful for the kind compliment as it took him ages to find the perfect tie.

“Are you sure it was just a cover? Are you trying to impress a certain someone?” Gert teasingly remarks, leading to the boy to roll his eyes not wanting to talk about said someone.