Chapter Six: The Suspects (Yvonne and Jamal)

Yvonne Shaquita Battle, the ex-fiance

Fayetteville, Georgia...

For Yvonne Battle, there was no love lost when it came to her relationship with the late Derrick Booker.

She hadn't forgiven him since he jilted her at the altar when they had finished high school, him citing that he finally had enough of her endless bullying and countless accusations of committing adultery against her. Of course, she also knew that Derrick's parents and older sister Melina loved how she was the epitome of being their vision of the daughter-in-law to whip Derrick into being a perfect husband and future father. And she was all for them tearing down his self-esteem and torturing methods to make sure he either fell in line or be easily eliminated.

While he got shipped off to conversion therapy for summer vacations, she got to enjoy drug parties with Melina and her law-school friends.

She got the perks of shopping sprees with Mrs. Booker while Derrick was subjected to random beatings by Mr. Booker and Jamal.

And while Derrick himself had to remain a virgin, Mr. & Mrs. Booker graciously invited Yvonne to join them for multiple threesomes.

Yvonne's parents, on the other hand, knew that their daughter was playing with fire and warned her that her involvement with the family would spell disaster. "That boy's family treats him like dirt and you're allowing it to happen," her preacher father had said to her during a confrontational dinner rehearsal (which earned Derrick a pre-wedding beating from his father). "Those false accusations you're cooking up will backfire in the end and you'll wish that you've been a good woman to him."

Needless to say, her father was right when Derrick boldly confronted her, his family, and Jamal with their sexual escapades and promptly announced that there would be no wedding. Despite a loud outraged backlash; the groom left her standing there dressed in her designer gown as he finally walked out of the church (after punching Jamal and Mr. Booker) and out of her life.

Years later, she was still close to the Booker family as her relationship with her parents were estranged. She was working at her hair salon while dealing drugs on the side with plenty of men on hand for a one-night stand with no strings attached. When word of Derrick's death reached her ears, she merely celebrated with a glass of champagne and a blunt yet was amazed on how Derrick became a superstar in the fashion world with his label Solaris Couture on everyone's minds. She knew that anyone who was anyone owned an original gown by the popular brand, but never expected to learn that Derrick was the designer behind it all.

It was now the Mother's Day weekend and her salon was busy with mothers of all ages wanting to look their best for Sunday services and family dinners. Just as there was a lull during the afternoon, Yvonne received a phone call. "Ms. Battle? This is Diana Yeun, personal attorney for the late Derrick Booker," the woman's voice intoned. "I'm calling to let you know that Mr. Booker himself has personally invited you and several others to the reading of his last will and testament alongside a posthumous fashion show."

That caught her attention as the salon owner sat up in her desk chair while pouring over her taxes in her office. "He did?" Yvonne said, keeping her voice neutral. "Well, I can't make any promises right now, but I can clear up my schedule and let my workers know where I'll be for a while. How long is this event going to take?"

"It'll last all of June with all expenses paid plus an instant cash payout should you accept," the lawyer's voice replied. "One hundred grand, to be precise. Plus, you and the other esteemed guests are given VIP access to New York Fashion Week as Mr. Booker's final collection will be shown during that time."