Chapter 1

Y/N

It's been a long time since I felt this way. I feel lost, like a burden. If only there were a way out of it, I would take it.

Both of my parents died on a hunting trip when I was 10 years old, and my uncle, my mother's brother, took me in.

They were both hunters, but not your average ones. My dad always told me they hunted bears, deer, wolves... but what they forgot to mention was their hidden arsenal. A closet full of all kinds of weapons, blades, knives, silverware, holy water... you name it.

Since most of my days were spent alone, I made friends with not-so-good kids, and, well, they taught me a thing or two.

I learned how to break into places so I could get into the closet when no one was nearby.

As a child, my curiosity got the best of me. Every day after school, I stayed in the library to do more research on the specific uses of things. Until I found out the supernatural existed.

Right after my parents' death, I went to my uncle. I kept observing all of them to see if they were hunters as well, but none of them had a single idea of what's behind the shadows. So, I started training in my room every night. I got caught by both my uncle and aunt, but they brushed it off, thinking it was a product of my imagination. They thought I was playing, for which I am grateful.

I never knew who really killed my parents until I turned 17 and one fucking vampire came home, killing the rest of my family.

I came home from a night shift just to find a bath of blood all over the place. Each of them sliced open. At first, I thought it was some douche, some serial killer.

I started screaming for help, but no one could hear me. I slipped and fell next to my niece, and when I turned my face, I saw two small bite marks on her neck. That's when I knew who the culprit was.

I was so lost and desperate that I picked up another job during the day, a way to keep my mind busy. It was then I met this guy, Damian, who I fell in love with, until now...

And this is how my life started to sound...

"Babe, lunch is ready!" I called Damian. Today was one of those rare days I could say it's a happy one. Both of us are off from work. "Babe, after lunch, get ready. I found a park I would love to visit with you."

He chuckled while sitting in front of me. "And why do you think I will go with you?"

My eyes never left his face. Just when I thought he had actually changed, he proved me wrong one more time. "Don't be so clingy, Jesus. I need space, and anyway, I'm going out with the boys. We are going hunting, so prepare the kitchen."

My face showed surprise and discomfort; it's the same story I was once told. But this time, I just hope he never comes back. And because of my bad luck? I chuckled to myself. This bastard will be back.

Realization hits. Damian would give me grief, and if I want to live better than this, I need to start closing my past. Heal that part of me.

"Alright then, no problem. I guess we can go another time. Just let me know when you are available..." I trail off, not wanting to prolong this conversation.

I rise from my seat, no longer interested in eating, when he finally speaks again. "Where are you going? Sit down and eat!" he commands with a rough voice.

I don't want any food to be wasted, so instead, I sit back down, swallowing my pride and my sadness.

He finally leaves the house, and the tension leaves with him. For some reason, I feel at peace.