Chapter 6- Midnight Meeting

Y/N POV

Azriel, Atlas, Thesan, my Captain, and two royal guards looked up at me as Comet led me inside.

And Azriel was the one I locked eyes with first.

His hazel eyes were sharp and focused. He was the tallest person in the room. His wings were tucked in tight to the small space, but his stone cold face did not flinch or soften at me. Compared to the others, he was cast in shadows, shadows that seemed to slither around his powerful body.

I felt a small disappointment at that but recovered fast and bowed low to Thesan.

"My Lord."

Thesan smiled tiredly. "Good to see you again, Y/N."

My brows rose at my name. I straightened and felt Atlas and my Captain studying me intently.

The doors shut behind us.

"Y/N, we've been discussing what to do about the humans who've been discovered here." Thesan began, running a hand through his brown hair as my captain watched him fondly.

"A human camp was found in the Night Court." Azriel bit out, teeth flashing.

Thesan looked at him wearily. "There are too many unknowns to send Comet or another squadron leader. You and Apollo were the ones in charge of the group that found them, and by Comet's recommendation, he believes you can handle this mission."

Comet cleared his throat and I turned to face him.

"We can't afford to send a big group of our own to check out the campsites that are popping up. We believe the best course of action is to keep those who know about this as limited as possible to avoid panic. Therefore only you, Apollo, and your small team of scouts are at our disposal. We want you and the shadowsinger to inspect the area around the campsite and try to gather more information. And Y/N," his voice softened. "I think you can do this."

I blinked at him as the room watched me.

My knees felt weak. I had never been tasked with a role like this. My entire court was depending on me.

I swallowed my nausea.

"I'll do it."

Heads perked up.

"You and Azriel will leave in the morning. We have the location, as well as permission from Rhysand and Helion to enter the Night Court and Day Court if you happen to follow a trail. I'll have someone prepare you both sacks to bring with you with everything you could need. You both have full access to our armory. Take what you need. Your goal, is to get answers, take hostages, but to end as few lives as possible." The Captain said, his voice pure command.

"How long are we to search for answers?" I piped up, feeling small with so many important men in the room.

"Please don't spend more than a few days at the most. I understand how dangerous it can be in parts of the woods at night." Thesan murmured.

I turned to Azriel. He was watching quietly, his head cocked to the side slightly, making his dark hair fall over his brow.

"With all that said, we will pay you both generously-" Comet began.