Chapter 19- Yall saw this coming

Azriel POV

The fire was out and I fastened the last strap of our baggage over my shoulder.

Y/N didn't even fight me on carrying the supplies this morning. For some reason that pricked my heart.

"Where have you been keeping my clothing?" She mused, cocking her head at me.

I chuckled and waved my hand, her top from last night reappearing over my top she slept in. I gave her privacy to change her pants.

The morning birds sang outside, and the trees sighed their farewell as I padded out of the cave and drank in the light.

Y/N was leaving too after a moment.

I had barely blinked it in when I sneezed, wings flaring.

Y/N snorted. "Cute as always shadowsinger."

I smiled down at her. "I could never measure up to you."

She dipped her head at the compliment and we both just breathed in the silence. The last few moments.

Tell her. Tell her. My nosy shadows hissed in my ear.

I swallowed hard, my jaw feathering. "Y/N. Um...About last night..."

Her brows furrowed slightly, but the dazzling colors of her eyes in the sun made my knees weak.

I cleared my throat, suddenly feeling self conscious. What do I even say? How do I make it right?

Perhaps I paused for too long because she put a hand on my arm.

"Don't worry about it Az. I can tell by looking at you you haven't slept. Maybe I was sensing something that's not there."

My heart squeezed and I turned to her fully. "That's- no." I fumbled for words, in a state not even my brothers had never seen me in.

My shadows gathered around us, preparing to winnow.

No. I don't want to go.

"Just know I didn't see it as a causal thing at all. I love you, Azriel."

There she was, pressed to me, and something physically clicked into place in my brain. Her scent slammed into me, dulling every sense, every thought, even my shadows reared. How I didn't physically yield a step, I have no idea.

Mate.

My mate.

Like a string pulled tight, that bond snapped into place between us and no words spilled from my open mouth as my shadows winnowed us to the Dawn Court.

In a heartbeat my shadows dumped us out into the grand balcony of Thesan's palace, Thesan, Comet, Apollo and the captain all waiting.

Y/N let go of my arm, but the look she gave me was pure confusion. She felt something too. Did she know what it was? Or was she looking at me funny for not saying anything again?

"Welcome home, Y/N." Comet boomed, beaming.

Y/N immediately bowed to Thesan. "Thank you."