Ch21- The Barrier

Sans and Amelia's last few weeks have left them in pure bliss. They've found joy in the smallest things together, whether it's going to Grillby's, admiring the scenery of waterfall, playing in the snow, cooking with Papyrus, or simply just being with one another. Each and every day is a new, yet familiar adventure, full of peaceful experiences.

But despite how happy Amelia is, something heavy is weighing on her mind. She rests her head on Sans's chest, releasing a tense breath she didn't know she was holding. Sans notices this, and starts to rub her back comfortingly.

"What's up?"

"Oh, nothing... Just trying to think of ways to break the barrier." Sans sighs at her words, not wanting her to stress over the subject.

"I know it's hard for you to accept, but it's not your problem to fix." Amelia flips over so she can face him, though she still rests her head against his chest.

"Yes it is..." She sighs, trying to collect her words. "I'm still the last soul everyone needs. And since I'm not giving my soul up, it's only fair that I figure out a way to fix things." Sans let's out a deep breath at her words. He knows the guilt is eating her alive, he wishes there was a way to ease her shame.

"Your heart's too big for your own good." He whispers as he ruffles her hair. She smiles slightly at the gesture, before getting caught in thought again. "Uh oh. Whatcha thinking about this time?"

"Do you think it's even possible to pull off? Breaking the barrier with only six souls?" Sans grew rather quiet after her question, as if he's debating about answering her. She starts to wonder if he's hiding something from her. "Sans?"

"I know it can be done, because Frisk has pulled it off more than once." Amelia's eyes widen at his words. This is crucial information, why would he not tell her sooner?

"Why... Why would you hide this from me?" Amelia's vocal cords strain from heartbreak and betrayal. How could he keep a secret like this from her?

"Because I still don't entirely know how Frisk managed to do it. I knew if I told you, you would spend every waking hour trying to figure it out." He answers honestly with a hint of regret and shame in his voice. She sits up, scowling at him as a confusing battle of anger and pain consumes her mind.

"Tell me everything that you know. Now."

"Ok, ok." Sans hates whenever she's upset, especially when it's directed at him. But deep down, he knows she has every right to be furious right now. "From what I remember, Frisk would fight Asgore and kill him. Though, I'm pretty sure Flowey was involved with his death. I know he was around when it happened." He looks directly into Amelia's eyes as he speaks, watching her soak in every detail.

"She absorbed his soul and crossed the barrier. Things were rough down here for that period of time. All of the human souls we collected vanished for some reason, still not sure why. Maybe Flowey had something to do with it, I don't know. The Queen, Toriel, took Asgores place. But the mess we were left in, it didn't last long. Frisk came back, she picked up at her last save point before her fight with Asgore. From what I heard, she went to Alphys's lab. I'm not sure why that was important, but it happened every time she broke the barrier. Then she went to fight Asgore again, but all of her friends showed up to put a stop to it. That's when Flowey showed up, and stole literally everyone in the underground's souls."

"Holy shit." Most of the rage she felt dissipated as she listened to the intense story, getting lost in the details as Sans explains it.

"I'm not really sure what happened after that, but somehow we were all ok. As if it was all a dream. That's when we found the barrier was somehow broken."

"So all of this involves Flowey." Amelia ponders for a moment, thinking out loud.

"Yes, but Frisk was only ever able to do this in the past by following those exact steps. I don't think it's something you can shortcut. I especially wouldn't want to go off script with Flowey. Do we really want to gamble everyone's safety in the underground by letting him take our souls?"

"Yeah... I guess you're right. We'll have to find another way, one that hopefully doesn't involve Flowey." With a heavy breath, she takes Sans's hand before gazing into his eyes. "I'm sorry for being mad at you, I just wish you would have told me sooner."

"Hey, it's ok." Sans reassures her softly with a smile. "And I'm sorry that I didn't tell you all of this earlier. I should have, I know. I guess my reason for hiding it was kinda shitty, huh?"

"A little." She teases him with a smirk, which makes Sans's smile widen as well. "But I understand why it was hard for you to tell me. You just didn't want me chasing after a dangerous solution."

Sans wrapped up his apology with a gentle kiss, pulling her close into his embrace. Amelia has noticed that every time he kisses her, Sans pulls her into his lap. She thinks it's an adorable gesture, leaving her happy to reciprocate. Amelia kisses Sans back with a kick of passion, earning a satisfied hum out of the skeleton. He leans back until he's laying down on the mattress again, pulling Amelia on top of him. The two slowly drift to sleep, snuggling deep into each other's arms.