10. Sing for me

"Sing fer me, bonnie." Soap croaked in a breath, instinctively, his chest expanding rhythmically against the girl's slender figure, the rapid beats of her heart echoing indiscreetly between his shoulder blades.

He hadn't thought much about it and perhaps didn't even know where that desire came from, yet, as the small, warm body beneath him still supported his weight with a devotion he had never known, he discovered that he wanted nothing else.

For an instant he thought she would refuse, perhaps sending him to hell, but instead she held her breath, a slight shiver swirling under her fingertips.

She was so close to him that MacTavish would have sworn he felt an irregular pulse in her neck, almost a sob, as she disguised her embarrassment with a smile.

He decided that if the doctor hadn't spoken in the next few fractions of a second, he would have kissed her, finally letting himself be intoxicated by her scent, consumed by that desire that he couldn't extinguish no matter how punctually it was satisfied.

Instead, before he could fully realize it, the delicate and deep voice he remembered filled the silence of the room. At first little more than a whisper in his ear, the rhythmic spread of the girl's chest against his, then clearer and clearer. 

In the morning when you wake up

I like to believe you are

thinking of me

And when the sun comes

Through your window

I like to believe you've been

Dreaming of me

I know 'cause I'd spend half this morning

Thinking about the tee shirt you sleep in

I should know 'cause I'd spend all the whole day

Listening to your message, I'm keeping and never deleting

The words rolled over Johnny's skin like lava, vibrated indiscreetly between his ribs and penetrated so deeply that he thought they would fuse with his bones.

He pretended a detachment he didn't feel, his eyes closed and his head still resting on the girl's small, sharp shoulder, but his fingers tightened their grip on the thighs firmly anchored to his own hips. 

When I saw you, everyone knew

I liked the effect that you had

on my eyes

But no one elese heard the way of your words

Or felt the effect that they

Have on my mind

Falling

I know 'cause I'd spend half this morning

Thinking about the tee shirt you sleep in

I should know 'cause I'd spend all the whole day

Listening to your message, I'm keeping and never deleting

The voice died in a whisper, exhausted itself between those walls as if it had been nothing more than a current of air, a flutter of wings. She stopped the warm hands that were slowly, almost absentmindedly, stroking his hair, then silence.

Unlike the first time he had heard her, it was undeniable that this time she had sung for him, and Soap had to restrain himself from grabbing her, holding her until she understood how deeply he could hold her inside him, how much of him she had taken away.